icon

liquid fiberglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
03blks 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
Ok i am pretty mew to all of this but i was wondering if there is any kind of liquid fiberlass or somethin of that sort. the reason i ask is because i am making a mold of eyelids and want to be able to just pour the fiberglass in and let it harden. it will be a 2 side mold so it will be enclosed. is there anything like this that i can use. i thought this was the shape would be perfect everyime
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
well the resin is liquid. You can buy chopped fiberglass and mix it in and pour in your mold.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
There is also fiberglass soup.
4 teaspoons of salt
1 pint of resin
2 whole onions
Diced Fiberglass mat
Your favorite bread to go with it.
Now, I would not necessarily eat that, but I felt like throwing a little humor around this morningliquid fiberglass? -- posted image.
But, I would follow k-sonata's recipe and you should be good to go.
I recommend you try it out in small portions first.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
03blks 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
{TABLE cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 height="100%" id=HB_Mail_Container width="100%" UNABLE="on"}{TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%"}{TD background=""0 id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" UNABLE="off"}ll look into that thank you. what about plastic. i know it can be a liquid and turned into solid. how could i go about doing that?{/TD}{/TR}{TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1"}{TD height=1 style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" UNABLE="on"}{DIV id=hotbar_promo}{/DIV}{/TD}{/TR}{/TABLE}{BLOCKQUOTE id=3d33ffb5}{TABLE cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 height="100%" id=HB_Mail_Container width="100%" UNABLE="on"}{TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%"}{TD background=""0 id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" UNABLE="off"}i{/TD}{/TR}{TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1"}{TD height=1 style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" UNABLE="on"}{DIV id=hotbar_promo}{/DIV}{/TD}{/TR}{/TABLE}
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
you are most likely looking for a urethane product...
they range is hardness, from: those sticky hand things you used to use to pick up dollar bills etc...as a kid to as hard as a piece of PVC pipe...
that way you can have a flexible mold witha rigid plug to make your parts from...remove the plug and peel away the mold...and presto perfect parts everytime...or what ever...
either way just google urethane
Fiberglass Guru.
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
If it is Urethane you are after, then here are a few resources, got better links at home, but I am at work for the time being.
http://www.artmolds.com/category76.cfm
http://www.lumicast.com/links.html
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

We don't recommend using urethane for the eyelids. The heat coming off MOST headlight bulbs tend to distort it if exposed for extended periods (2 hours straight like on a long trip) It would be best to stick to resin and chopped mat. High Temperature Acrylic or polymer plastic are what headlights are usually made of. They are good too and do not distort easily. The hard part would be price (HTA) and/or availability (Polymer Plastic)

You can use urethane if you like, but it would be best to be aware of what can happen (not always)

Good Luck!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
bellsracer wrote:

We don't recommend using urethane for the eyelids. The heat coming off MOST headlight bulbs tend to distort it if exposed for extended periods (2 hours straight like on a long trip) It would be best to stick to resin and chopped mat. High Temperature Acrylic or polymer plastic are what headlights are usually made of. They are good too and do not distort easily. The hard part would be price (HTA) and/or availability (Polymer Plastic)

You can use urethane if you like, but it would be best to be aware of what can happen (not always)

Good Luck!

i thought he is just looking for mold making materials...
i too wouldnt recomend making the actual eyelids out of urethane
Fiberglass Guru.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

...ditto to *Cougar...  he wanted to make molds to pour resin in, right? 

Make eyelid molds with urethane, peel off, fill with resin...ect.  Either way 03blks, I too would fill your eyelid (?urethane?) mold with resin and chop mat for the actual component that is intended to "BE" the eyelid for the headlight due to the elements.

...by the way Melted Fabric, great recipe!  But, Ive gotta throw in some oregano and garlic...and BAM! LOL

Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
torquehead wrote:

...by the way Melted Fabric, great recipe! But, Ive gotta throw in some oregano and garlic...and BAM! LOL

"And next week folks, stay tuned for the secret recipe for urethane meatloaf!"
hehe, sounds like some kind of sex toy.liquid fiberglass? -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic