icon

building enclosure, port location?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hemanjoyman 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
I want to build an enclosure with two slot ports with no dividers to separate the two subs.
I was wondering, is it better to put both ports in the middle, with one single vent opening in the front of the enclosure for the exit point of both(I hope this is clear), in which case they would share the back wall. Or, should I put one port on each side, along the side walls???
Any suggestions???
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
I would think that would pay a huge number on the sound. There would be 2 different phases coming out of that box that could cause cancellation. Keep both ports on the same side of the box.
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
Can't put both ports on the same side of the box, since they will be slot ports and they will be L-shaped. They either have to both go in the middle of the box, or one on each side.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

If there's only one shared chamber, why are you not considering using only one slotted port?  If your reasoning is that you are concerned that the L shape will favor one sub over the other, then throw that concern out.  The airspace is shared by both subs.

Place the port on either side, whatever design you like best and fits your installation.

If you want a center slot design, refigure you box so that each sub has its own chamber.  The middle divider will separate the ports (two side by side in the center).  Calculate port for each individual sub / airspace.

If you want a slotted port on each side of the box, there again, use a middle divider to separate the subs.  Calculate port for each individual sub.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking about doing only one slot port, and yes, I was worried that it would effect each sub a bit differently and not give a desirable sound. I also thought about giving each sub a separate chamber, and each sub it's own port, but that would make the enclosure even bigger and I don't have much space in my trunk as it is.
Thanks for the info. stevdart
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

why not design a box with a sub on either side of the port in the middle with the port splitting in 2? kinda like the picture below.

building enclosure, port location? -- posted image.
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Hey killersonata.......that was actually part of my original question, that is what I meant by both ports exiting in the front and sharing the back wall.
I guess my question was just not clear enough, and that's what I was afraid of. Would that design work better than having only one port on the side? The design picture you posted is basically 2 ports.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
ewll it is 2 ports and it isnt. They merge into 1 so it is still considered a single port. The main port has to be twice as wide as the port chambers on the back wall. In this case i used 2" for the main port and it broke into 2 1" chambers. I used this same box for my last setup and it sounded great. Whether or not it actually sounds better than a true single ort I have no idea. This would be your safest bet though.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

killer sonata:  lay it out for me.  How are you going to calculate tuning frequency with that design?

Make me a believer.  building enclosure, port location? -- posted image.

...and an edit because we happened to post at the same time....how is that the "safest bet"?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2006 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I am assuming it should be the same as calculating for two 1" ports, except if I do it like that, I would probably make them 1.5" inch ports.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic