icon

I need a quiet tool for MDF cutting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
I'm building a sub box out of MDF. Because I don't live in a house anymore and have no garage, I will have to do it in my appartment. I would need to buy some sort of a saw to cut the 3/4 MDF. My goal is not to make too much noise, so I don't want a loud tool. How loud would a jigsaw be? I know it's hard to tell, but comparing to a plunge router let say, is it much quieter? I've used a plunge router before and it was SO loud I had to cover up my ear with my shoulder. Another option would be to buy a regular hand saw and do it by hand, but I'd rather do it the faster, easier and cleaner way with a jigsaw...especially for the trunk floor where I'd need to cut curves. Any opinions on this?
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
jig saw would be a lot quiter. I use one at my apt all the time. But just do it during the day and love what people say about it. If you were doin construction to make their apartment better they wouldn't care about the noise.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
There is always a good cross-cut hand saw and a coping saw. I know hand tools suck and it would take awhile but it would be quiet. The jig saw would probably be your best bet like mentioned above.   I wouldn't think a good jig saw would create more noise than a vacuum cleaner.
Good Luck!
-Thad
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a 2-bed room apartment with an empty 2nd room, I would soundproof it and then would not worry at all about noise.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah that would be sweet. And put an exhaust fan in the window and paint the walls with a high gloss durable paint and pull up the carpet and put tile down that way you can paint stuff in there without dust gettin int he paint.... yeah!
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
I live an apt and use my deck to do all my cutting. As long as you dont start before 10am or keep cutting after 10pm then its ok. I use a jigsaw and a battery powered circular saw. None of my neighbors have complained.  Ive been here almost a year. People enjoy walking past and ask me what Im doing.
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
Lol...I won't be converting my apartment into a wood/paint shop. I don't have a kitchen table, so I have some room in my dining room...which is just a spot between the kitchen and the living room. I also have a balcony, but don't want to show the whole world I'm building stuff in there.
I'm glad to hear that a jigsaw is quiet enough. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model for the job? I want something that won't suffocate through 3/4 MDF and give me a clean cut, and something that will last and not choke and die. I once bought a rotary cutting tool off ebay for 20-30 bux, and that thing is barely breathing after one fiberglass project. I'd rather pay a bit more and not have to buy it each time I start a new project.
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
i feel u on the appt thing, i am staying at my girls appt for a few days and i want to try and get some stuff done on her box, besides alll i have to do is chill cough and play my ps2...so im doing some work on her balcony, i also dont want anyone seeing what my girl will soon have in her car so im trying to be as discrete as possible.  i have a orange black and decker jigsaw, its pretty nice kinda quiet, but im deaf in one ear :), its easy to put in saw blades and it works well. i think it was like 20 at home depot
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2006 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  
makita, bosche, dewalt all make a cordless 14.4 or 18 volt 4"circular saw thats not that loud.  I used it in my apartment when making bunk beds it was a lot messier than loud....but you have to go slow or else youll bind up the blade
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

When I remodeled my appartment one time (it took 3 days to re-trim the island and bar), I borrowed my parent's home stereo system.  I made ALL of my measurements for the trim and supports and marked each and every piece of wood to be readied to be cut.  I waited until late morning, cranked the stereo, and got to work.  I dont know if everyone was at work, or they thought I was some kind of heavy metal freakshow that listened to acid rock and power tools and was too afraid to bother me!  BUT, only a few girls stopped by asking "What in the world do I do with my spare time?"....ill end this by saying I married one of them a year later...LOL

Good luck by the way, the jig is definately quieter....

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic