the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running wires inside and input terminal?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
digdug18 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2006 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

I've never built a box before, I'm planning on doing it next weekend though. The part I dont understand is how to run wires inside the sub box and how to connect to the box. Are you soldering wires to the sub? what gauge are you using? how do you maintain a airtight seal around the wires going into the box, or do you use banana plugs or something like that to seal the box? Also do you fill the box with poly fill or something similar? I know alot of questions, but they werent covered in the FAQs or the building a fiberglass box sticky. and yes I tried searching. Pictures would be nice as well, but not a nessecity, yeah my spelling sucks.

Andrew

realgossamer 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
You could get something like this:
ebay
and then seal around the edges of the cup with the same stuff you used to seal the inside of the box.
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
What i do to my boxes is simple. Just make a hole with a drill bit as big enough for the wires to fit through snug. Then cover the hole in and out of the box with the silicone used to seal the edges inside the box. this is good if the box is for you because its fast and simple. if you ever want longer wire for some reason, the con of this is that you have to open up your box to get to the terminals of the speaker. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you are doing a box for someone, it doesnt look professional. but it does the job. if
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Use 16 guage speaker or primary wire to connect voice coils.  Use a single strand for each polarity.  You can either solder them to the terminals or use solderless crimp connectors (disconnects).  Your choice whether you want to run them through a hole in the box or use a terminal cup.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone here tried drilling two holes in the box and using a bolt and nut??
Saw it in a picture a lil while ago on another forum...looked pretty cool...not sure if it would affect the sound in anyway if the bolt would cause any significant resistance...just wondering
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
Most bolts have a significant amount of zinc to it, so some would say it is not as good of conductor. Which if you really want to get into resistivity of materials it does have a higher resistivity than copper, aluminum, and gold. ( i'm not going to go look it up in a table so anybody can correct that if it is wrong)
Good Luck!
-Thad
fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Here's some binding posts that mount in a 1/4" hole and accept up to 8 guage wire.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1245&Cfid=4892474&CFTOKEN=65110992
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Ahh that is what I was looking for...thanks pete
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Here's another, cheaper option: http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=26_136&products_id=543
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
FYI --
Parts Express price $6.88
DIYCable price $10.50
Last time i checked $6.88 is cheaperRunning wires inside and input terminal? -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic