icon

fiberglass inside, instead of outside?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

I was thinking yesterday as I was driving home about glassing. Then I thought about how much easier a project would be if you could glass it from the inside instead of the outside. Then you could just put your bondo on the fleece and as long as you stretch it nice and tight like you should. It would take just a little sanding and you'd be smooth as glass, not fiberglass. hehe. Instead of having to sand down the glass and then bondo and all that.

Does anyone do this? How from the speaker hole and just reach in or do you cut a hole and then patch it later?

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

Are you serious?!

I agree that it would be simpler to bondo fleece but this would only work if the enclosure is in two pieces. Once you've glassed the inside of the "Cover" you'd attach it to the enclosure. But how would you do that?

If the fleece is attached to the enclosure already, how would you reach in though an 11.5 inch hole with both hands and see what you're doing? How would you make sure all the bubbles are squeezed out and that you have a sound structure?

I could have made a play on words with your username name but prefer to refrain.  Prove us wrong and build a box with many pix.

I could be wrong.

I once asked who the hel* would want to see a bunch of guys losing traction on purpose when even a monkey knows how to push a gas pedal to the floor until HP overtakes rubber adhesion. It ain't talent - it's contrary to what they teach at drag racing school. Yet - drifting became a phenomenon. DOH!  fiberglass inside, instead of outside? -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
anarchy customs 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
I've glassed projects many times from the inside. Its not as hard as you think as long as you plan ahead. When I'm designing and building my frame work I try to include a removable section of mdf. Usually on the bottom or back of the project. After the glass is laid I re-attach the mdf panel and seal it up.
It does take a little longer to design the project this way. But it saves a ton of time in the sanding process.
Now this doesnt work for all projects. Sometimes something is just too small or ackwardly shaped to make this approach possible. But as long as there's a big enough section of mdf that allows you to really get in there and do a good job, its worth it.
anarchy customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
I dont have any build up pics, but I glassed all these from the inside:
fiberglass inside, instead of outside? -- posted image.
on this one I removed the bottom.
on this one I removed the back
removed the bottom as well
You get the idea. Next time I glass from the inside I'll make sure i take some build-up pics.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Nice work! Real smooth!   fiberglass inside, instead of outside? -- posted image.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

So anarchy do you cut a section out of the mdf? I think im lost on that part. I was thinking of cutting a section out, on the projects that have the glass touching all the mdf. Then reattaching what you cut out once you get done. With liquid nails, then laying some glass across the top through the speaker hole.   

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
anarchy customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
No I dont cut a section out. I build the frame work a certain way to allow a large piece of the mdf to be taken off but still have the rest of the frame maintain its shape. Give me a sec and I'll try to draw up an example.
anarchy customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
ok, lets say you build a basic rectangular frame. The opening in the front is where you mount your rings:
Dont glue the grey panel(1)in place yet. Just hold it in with screws till you get the shape of the framework you want. After your fleece is streched and resined you can remove the back panel(1). Now you have a large opening where you can lay down your glass from the inside. Once your done glassing put glue around the edges of the back panel and secure it back into place with nails/screws/etc.
Now this is a very very basic example. Sometimes you have to get a little more creative to make a frame with removable peices that can still maintain its shape without moving.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

very nice work anarchy.

Shaking The Neighborhood
anarchy customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the compliments guys.fiberglass inside, instead of outside? -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic