icon

SQ vs. SPL?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vtecnique 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

so i've gotten out of the performance tuning market and would like to start with amateur sound competition. I have a decent platform to start with (1998 Buick LeSabre Custom) and currently I am running 2 12" Alpine Type Es in a sealed box, with a crappy sony amp i had lying around (it hits pretty hard for the age/condition). its a small box, but i'd like to upgrade to something thats louder.

what i was planning was an interior speaker upgrade (obviously), since i have the 6 speaker package. also i'd like to upgrade the 2 12"s to a single Solo Baric 15" L7 in a ported box w/ a Power Acoustic SL2000 (i think thats the model number) which will both save me room and allow me to upgrade later if i like the sound. But, i have 2 questions:

1. Since i really don't listen to 1 type of music, will this box allow me to keep the tight punchy bass i got with the sealed box, and also give me the deeper bass that really gets heard down the block (hence the title SQ vs. SPL)?

and 2. the amp is rated 900 watts RMS but the sub is rated 1000 watts. will this be a problem? i searched around but maybe since this is such a basic question and beat to death i havent really gotten a straightforward answer for it.

any and all advice will be appreciated. I hope to learn a lot from these boards!

vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
1000 watt rating on your sub is just how much thermal beating it can take before things start to go wrong. You can power it with any amp you like as long as you don't overpower it. Running a smaller amp simply means less output vs. bigger amp. But 1000 vs. 900 watts won't make an audible difference.
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

is that 1000 watts in rms or burst? i dont know alot about the L7 so correct me if im wrong. if it is rms then 900 watts will do just fine. i have listend to power acoustic subs/amp and didnt like the subs, havnt heard a power acoustic with any other sub so maybe there subs arnt good. REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the L7 has to be broken in!!!!! dont throw it in your car and crank it to the max, it will take about 2 weeks to be broken in. and as far as SQ vs. SPL the L7 doesnt have the greatest SQ from what i heard, might of just been the box but the SPL is really good. what music genre do you listen to the most if you listen to everything? if you listen to jazz or country with tight bass i would go sealed but if you listen to rap or rock i would go ported. hope this helped ya out a lil bit.

jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
Most people build big, loud ported boxes for L7's to get some sweet SPL but it won't give you the good SQ unless you design the box for it.. which believe it or not can be done with a Kicker subwoofer.
About subwoofer break in.. it has been discussed in this forum and I'm pretty sure it was the final verdict that there is no such thing. The suspension might be stiff but it losen up after a little playing time but it will not hurt the woofer.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
In case I wasn't clear enough, subwoofers do not need to be broken in. You can hook them up and turn them up and you will not hurt them if they are connected/hooked up/gain set and all properly.
vtecnique 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

the speaker is 1000 rms and 2000 max, and the amp is 900 rms into 4 ohm and 2000 max. they also have a 1980 watt model so i apologize if i get the specs wrong at the moment. i'm responding from my pda.

and i listen to mostly hip hop and rock, which is why i asked. a lot of rock i listen to has that punchy tight bass and hip hop, with the lower, deeper bass that travels down the block. i was going to add a bass processor just to experiment if it didn't sound deep enough.

i picked the combo because i'm sort of on a budget at the moment. i'm also saving up for a good alarm w/ remote start and 2 way and the possibility of mobile video. plus, i don't want to take up all the room in my trunk with a ported bandpass. i was going to do 2 15"s with the 2000w amp, but the speakers and box was going to run me close to $650 versus the $350 i would spend for the solo baric. plus the size difference. if i wanted to i would add the same speaker and amp combo to upgrade.

oh well, i heard those L7z really hit when pushed. i used to work at a benz dealer detailing and a customer came in for parts w/ a kicker sponsored blazer w/ 3 15" L7s. the thing was crazy, so i figured i'd give it a try.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

wrote:
and would like to start with amateur sound competition

What exactly are you looking for, SQ or SPL?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Your not gonna get far in spl comps cuz that Power Acoustic amp won't even be able to put enough power to push that L7
vtecnique 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

wrote:
and would like to start with amateur sound competition

What exactly are you looking for, SQ or SPL?

a good mix of both to start with. still somewhat undecided, but everyones gotta start somewhere...

and that L7 is the new 2006 model with 1000 watt rms with 2000 watts max, and the amp i was looking at is 900 watts rms into 4 ohm with peak power at 2000 watts, so i fail to see how this amp won't push this sub. please elaborate SQ vs. SPL? -- posted image.  As for it not being able to hold ground in the competition circuit, well that remains to be seen. my installer took 3rd in state (IL) with all Power Acoustik equipment, and hell, you cant beat the price. like i said i'm on a budget at the moment.

i'll post specs for both:

Power Acoustik SL2-2000:

• 2000 Watts of Power (Max)

• Number of Channels: 2

• 4ohm RMS: 370x2

• 2ohm RMS: 450x2

• Mono RMS: 900

• Tri-Mode Capable

• Variable Low Pass 40Hz-1200Hz

• Variable Hi Pass 150Hz-1.5kHz

• 18 dB Bass Boost @ 40Hz

• Frequency Response: 10Hz-30kHz

• S/N Ratio: 97dB

• THD: 0.02%

• and the Kicker S15L7-2 (2006 model)

• Dual 2 ohm voice coils
  • 2000 watts max power handling
  • 1000 Watts RMS power handling
  • 89.4 DB sensitivity
  • frequency response: 180 - 100 K
  • vtecnique 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: October 05, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
    the amp i believe is a discontinued model b/c i can't find it on the web site, so i took the specs off another site that had them (ebay...). there is a similar one that pushes close to that (like 1920 watts or something) but this one ive had me eye on for a few months since the price was right.
    Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic