the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Speaker wire to RCA

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ok...hang on a bit.

First, we need to make sure that we are talking apples and apples. We need to deal strictly with the rca input voltage, not the voltage coming from the battery to the amplifier.

There should be a "gain" or "input sensitivity" on your amplifier (giving the make and model of your amp will help). This should be either a small dial or a hole with a potentiometer near the rca jacks on your amp. This is what adjusts the input on the amplifier to match the output of your LOC. You can use the following method to set your gains. Though it can be effective, it can leave plenty of room for error and incorrect setting. With that caveat in mind:

• Turn the gain on your amp all the way down (counterclock wise).
  • Using a well recorded CD, turn your HU volume up until you begin to hear distortion, and then back it off until it is gone. (or turn it up to the loudest point you care to listed to...whichever comes first).
  • I would remember this volume setting on your HU and disconnect the mids and highs before doing the next step.
  • Turn up the gain on the amplifier (slowly) until you begin to hear distortion from the subwoofer, and then back it off until the distortion is gone.
  • Re-connect the mids and highs.

This is very non scientific and some people can hear the distortion better than others. I know of a couple of friends that will turn up their stereo past the point of distortion and think it sounds great just because it is loud. If this is you, I recommend having someone else set your gains. If you feel confident about your hearing abilities, go for it.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic