the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

chevy ssr radio removal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2006 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
anyone have info on this topic? the dash looks real difficult. 2006 chevy ssr
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
GMRC-01 is the harness my sources are calling for. It is the digital interface from metra.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Not too hard to work on eh! They are a painin the butt. You need to take almost the entire dash off to get to the radio. Take the sunvisors and all the windshield trim off. Take the kick panels and underdash panels off side to side. Take glove box out. Take off rings around the climate controls and trim along middle of dash. Disable and remove passenger side air bag. Remove the top of the dash. Then remove panel covering radio. Done correctly it can take 1/2 hour to do. This is GM's worst dash to get the radio out of.
sparky
dudek38 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2006 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
they sure look hard. sparky, thanks, i needed that input.
owner of
the florida keys
dudek38 
Posted: October 09, 2006 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
xtremej, has metra come out with a new catalog yet? whats the best up to date website for car speak sizes and wire harness. is the ai site still good?
owner of
the florida keys
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

The metra site is ok but, for speaker size and fitment I check crutchfield usually.

shaggy12volt 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

what i call a pain in the butt is putting 4x6 dash speakers in an old jeep.

[/QUOTE wrote:

remember the old chevy & gmc full size van front 4x6's

remember the old chevy & gmc full size van front 4x6's

The Shagmaster
1999 Chevy Suburban 15" lift sittn on 22's sets 7'5"
1992 Chevy Astro Van all Bagged out Dubbed THE SUICIDER
Installing for over 18 years Looking for empolyment NOW send PM for resum
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
All I was saying is that it takes more than a few minutes to do. Cavaliers can be done in about 5 minutes. A SSR takes a lot longer than that, unless you don't care about the fit and finish. I do. After installing for 28 years I think I've got the hang of it. The definition of hard work = installing 3 &1/2 inch speakers in the factory locations in a 1980 Monte Carlo. Thats hard work and the reason its nice to have an apprentice.
sparky
xtremej 
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Wow Sparkie  you've been installing as long as I have been breathingchevy ssr radio removal -- posted image.. Well I have only had the pleasure of installing as h.u. in one of these and it took quite a bit of time, but it  looked flawless when done. My advice is to put aside a saturday afternoon and take your time.....
dudek38 
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
i wouldnt argue about the jeep. you know we are all mechanics too. i believe one must be a mechanic to be an installer. also, it could be considered a pain in the ahole because it might be more intimidating being so much on a newer 50,000 dollar truck. by the way, how much is an 06 ssr?
do i have to be careful around the airbag? any tips....
owner of
the florida keys
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic