icon

remote start/alarm in 97 mountaineer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jessemi82 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
I think I have everything hooked up right. The remote start won't start, it turns on the acc lights but doesn't turn the starter. I have checked with 4 wire diagrams from 4 different sources that say the starter wire is the re/light blue wire. When I check this wire with the DMM it shows 12v even if the key is not turned. Any help will be appreciated.
jesse
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
yeah if that wire is showing 12v all the time are you sure your testing the right wire?  where are you testing it? right at the ignition switch?  im not looking at one of thesee cars right now but both places i checked for wiring diagrams say that these trucks are equipped with a pats security system.....trying activating the remote start and as soon as it flashes the parking lights throw the key in and turn it to ignition....if it fires up then you need to do one of two things...throw a key in a universal transponder bypass or get a second key and program in  a nkr bypass......good luck
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have one wiring guide that says RED / light blue is the starter and one that says WHITE/ pink. Use a volt meter and check each wire at the ignition switch to confirm its operation. Thats the way we had to do it in the old days before wiring guides. To confirm whether or not there is a PATS system, simply place the key in the ignition cylinder when trying the remote starter. Once you get the truck to start every time, then remove the key. If it no longer starts, then you need an interface to account for the transponder in the key. There are ones which simulate a key and those that require you to sacrifice a key and put inside a box.
sparky
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
On a 97 it may have PATS, it's 50/50. Is there a theft light flashing in the lower right corner of the cluster? If you do it has it. This should go out when you remote start . If it doesn't you haven't bypassed the Pats correctly. RED / blue is the correct starter wire tho...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jessemi82 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I don;t think that this vehicle has the pats system because the key I use to start it is just a solid metal key, not a factory ford key with the black plastic on top. There are no WHITE/ pink wires coming from the igniton. The RED / light blue wire has to be it, but the dmm does not agree. I am thinking about just unhooking every wire and starting over. something has to be conflicting. maybe If I just unhook the wires that have to do with the remote start, then dmm the wire again to see if ti changes. I don't know, this is my first try and it is VERY FRUSTRATING. I won't stop until my car blows up or I actually get it!
jesse
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Are you getting the reading with the remote start wire connected? Disconnect it and try your DMM. I've had instances where a meter will give you a 12volt reading but just at a low amperage.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
snotdobbs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

ive read leads that were being backfed by other circuits........i also fixed a car one time where the 12 volt lead was wrapped and taped and one strand of wire poked through  and was making contact with the ignition wire, couldnt believe i found it...

jessemi82 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
I just got done tearing out every wire of the system I just installed, and that RED / blue wire still reads 11.7. I am going to look for the WHITE/ pink wire that sparkie noted. This is Crazy. I am looking at 4 diagrams all from seperate sources that show the RED / blue is the starter wire. It is impossible that it is.
jesse
snotdobbs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
alright it comes down to this...........jjust cuz a wiring info sheet says its one color doesnt mean its that color.........what wire switches with start....cuz thats your start wire...........it could be any of the different colors in our rainbow....
jessemi82 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
I just got done testing the WHITE/ pink wire and that is not it either. it shows a 12.7 reading with no key in and while running.
jesse
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic