icon

Running two subs through mono amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chopsta 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Is it possible to run two subs in two different boxes through a mono amplifier? If so, can anyone please give me some advice on how to do so. I currently have a 10" Dual voice coiled 4 ohm Kenwood Peak- 600w; RMS- 300
What specs should the second subwoofer have?
Thanks for the help in advance
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I would strongly suggest you get the same sub. Mismatching subwoofers is something most of the people on this board would not recommend.
There is no such thing as free installation!
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it is possible and done all the time. The main thing is to get the impodence right at the amp.
What amp are you using now?
I'll post a pic of how to connect it once I get the rest of the info from you.
As for a suggested sub, I agree with tcss. I'll post a pic of how to do it in a minute as well as what specs the amp should be.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
If you get the same make/model sub, then you have several options:
1) Wire them in Parallel for a 1ohm load. You would need an amp that is 1ohm stable and rated 600x1@1ohms. That way each sub would receive 300watts RMS. Here's how it would look:
Running two subs through mono amp -- posted image.
2) The other way to wire them is in Series/Parallel for a 4ohm load. You would need an amp rated 600x1@4ohms. Each sub would still receive 300 watts. Here's how it would look:
What you probably have wired now is (1) 4ohm DVC wired in Parallel presenting a 2ohm load to the amp like this:
A 3rd option would be to to buy 2 new subs, only this time get 2ohm DVC's instead of 4ohm DVC's. That way you can run them in Series/Parallel and present a 2ohm load. You would need an amp rated 600x1@2ohms. Each sub would still receive 300 watts. Here's how it would look:
*Images courtesy of Rockford Fosgate*
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
chopsta 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
i have a Blue thunder MTX mono channelled amplifier, not sure about the specs on it because i bought it used.. i think it has the number 80 on the top... any insight?
chopsta 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
and what are the options for not getting the same sub.. because I wont be doing that.. thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Impedance and power capabilities are just the start.  You'll also need to match sensitivity and SPL characteristics of the enclosure/sub system.  And this is just the system design side, let alone how they will be installed, or if they both sound the same.  You're much better off matching the subs.
Support the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed, unmatched subs are a pain in the ***. It's easy to post the schematics for the ohm levels, but a LOT more difficult to predict the sound quality you will receive when you use multiple brand/model subs.
As for the amp, unfortunately I can't give any spoecifics as to what you should do without having the model number to research.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
chopsta 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

ok Squirrel I have all the specs and you are the man with the answers. Heres the situation:

I have a 10 Inch Kenwood sub in the front seat in a custom fibreglass box I made.             

The sub is a KFC-W2505
The amp I am currently running is a Blue MTX Thunder PRO50X2 ( I dont know much about it, got it used )

The new sub I seen today at the store was a Kenwood KFC-W2503 (10")

What I want to do is put the original Kenwood back in the box it came with (Oversized box;ported) the box and sub sounded amazing in it. So the original sub will be back in the trunk with the original box.
Now with the new sub I want to place that up front in the fibreglass box i made.

Im basically asking if I can do this, and let it be known I appreciate all your responses.

Thanks

wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ok give me a minute and I'll see what I can come up with.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic