the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running two subs through mono amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Ok first off here's your specs:
Kenwood KFC-W2505 (10”)
4ohm SVC
150RMS 600Peak
Kenwood KFC-W2503 (10")
4ohm SVC
130RMS 500Peak
MTX Blue Thunder PRO50X2
25x2@4ohms
50x2@2ohms
100x1@40hms
Now for the bad news.
That amp is not listed as a class-d mono amp. It's a 2-channel amp. That came directly from MTX for the model number you gave.
MTX Blue Thunder PRO50X2
According to Kenwood, The KFC-W2505 is an SVC (Single Voice Coil).
Kenwood KFC-W2505
I couldn't find the manual for the KFC-W2503, Kenwood doesn't have it listed online. But from what I was able to find on different sites the specs above should be correct.
I take it right now you have the KFC-2505 bridged to the amp like this:
Running two subs through mono amp - Page 2 -- posted image.
If you add the second sub using that amp you will not be able to bridge them (it would be a 2ohm bridged load and your amp is not stable at that rating). You would need to run each sub to it's own channel for the 25x2@4ohm rating. You will not like the way it sounds with only 25watts per speaker.
If you want to run both subs, then I would strongly recommend getting a different amp. One suggestion would be to look for one rated 300x1@2ohms or 400x1@2ohms.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
chopsta 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks for the advice man. Saves me a bit of money!
But I really want two subs, I dont know where you are from but here we have XS Cargo, wholesale store kind of, and they are currently selling this 10" sub with a small amp.
I would like to take that sub put that up front and then put the kenwood back in the trunk with the original box.
Would this thing work, it should because its running on its own amp.
The Sub...
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately they don't list the specs for that amp and sub. Without that info all I can say is you could use both amps, run (1) sub to (1) amp and the other sub to the other amp.
I'd have to see the actual specs for that Visonik amp to say for certain what your power rating would be if you hooked both up to it, but I'm going to take a guess and say 300x1@2ohms (each sub would get apx 150 watts). Every mono-block class-D amp I've seen has been at least 2ohm stable, so you could safely wire it like this:
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
There is also a woofer wiring diagram link on the left side of this page. You can plug in how many woofs and what impedence and it will show you the different configurations.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
chopsta 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
So I could wire up the two amps and subs seperately no problem, remember i dont need a lot of power for the upfront subwoofer(visonik)
wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you could, that's one fo the things I said in my last post.
If you do that then you might want to look at which amp would be better suited for which sub. Otherwise you'l end up with too much bass up front and not enough in the rear.
You may be better off using the Visonik amp for the rear Kenwood if it has a higher wattage output at 4ohms.
Good luck
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
chopsta 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
I just checked out the back of my deck where the current amp is plugged into the RCA outputs (i believed they are called; where the amp is plugged in) and there is no more outputs for another amp to be plugged into the deck. Im wondering how I can get around this problem because I know that it is possible to hook up 2 amps and 2 subs. Thanks for the help.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
It's called an RCA Y-adapter. You would need 2 of them and another RCA cable.
But you shouldn't need them. Keep both right and left adapters connected at the headunit. Now instead of running both ends back to the right and left inputs of 1 amp, run 1 to the left input of one amp, and the other to the left input of the other amp. Since both amps are going to be running mono anyways (1 mono and the other bridged-mono) you wont need a "stereo" input. And the left input channel on most amps is the mono input.
Before you ask, yes you will still get sound from all the speakers.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
or you can use the rca outputs from one amp and connect it to the second amp. Im pretty sure all MTX amps are capable of this.
chopsta 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I bought the sub and amp, the Visonik.
It will be installed on sunday so I'll post again then or earlier with any problems. I cannot thank you guys enough, especially squirrel thanks.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic