icon

playing subs in the cold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 4:19 AM / IP Logged  
I read an artical about woofers playing different but i forget the site.
It said that after the woofers warm up they will play better because as you all know as metals heat up they expand...and as the voice coil and motor/magnet assembly heats up the voice coil gap will decrease causing something I dunno...but all I know is that after some playing time in the cold the coil and such will expand because of heat and play differently.
Just telling you what I know...plus its basic physics
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
exactly, thanks guys
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
wvsquirrel wrote:
Afterall it's just a diaphram (just like what moves your lungs). It's harder to breathe at different altitudes and air densities because your diaphram has to work harder to push and pull the air. Stupid analogy I know, but wth!
The reason it FEELS different to you is because it is a physiological response to the different densities of the air, and the associated amount of oxygen contained within that air - less oxygen, you breathe harder to get more oxygen in - not due to the density. Your airway is MORE than large enough for the required flow of atmosphere into and out of your lungs, required by the forcing of the air by the diaphragm, on earth. If you are breathing a liquid, oxygen-delivering medium (ala The Abyss), yes there'd be a difference, but there is not enough difference in air density between Death Valley and Mt. Everest, to make your body work harder BECAUSE of the density differences. It the SAME physiological response to running a marathon, your body wants more oxygen so you breathe harder, right? Same altitude and air density, more exhertion... but because your blood is not getting the required amount of oxygen into it, you brain says "Breath harder..."
In a pressure chamber with MUCH higher oxygen densities than atmospheric (14%) but even lower pressures than atmospheric (30 inches of mercury, actually 29.95 in/Hg @ sea level and 70°, called STP, or Standard Temerature and Pressure), there is no physical breathing difference or FEELING, because the oxygen is still getting into the bloodstream in adequate concentrations, and the brain says "You dont have to breathe any harder than this...".
Flakman wrote:

tcss wrote:
Finally snapped ya huh David? I've been close myself over the last week or so! This place has been like a backed up grease trap.

I think Dave is suffering from BDS (Beer Deprivation Syndrome). I've seen it before...not a pretty site playing subs in the cold - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

I've been out of beer for two weeks... And I'm back on Atkins (and induction phase, too...), so I can't go buy any... So, YEAH, I'm touchy!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
I also live in wisconsin and I will tell you it doesn't matter.... when I leave my house everyday it is still at a high volume to wake my sleepy butt up... temp doesn't matter at all
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of surround do you have? foam or rubber? when i had subs that had rubber and it got really cold if i cranked it it would crack cuz the the xmax was greatly affected and it was trying to push the sub. i havnt had really any problems with foam surrounds
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
rubber... and still doesn't matter.... both are just fine... letting subs warm up is a myth just like under powering... i get in my car in the winter and its WFO
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst, drink Michelob Ultra. i went through the same thing on Atkins *lauhging*
Thx for the info
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2006 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
alright thanks guys
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.