Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

I found that interesting audiocableguy. Thank you.

Everything so far I have gathered here has been very informative, but at the same time there still seems to be dispute with certain and specific aspects, or like with myself, it was the way I  was understanding (or my lack thereof) what I have been consistantly told in the past. It is a somewhat dissapointing feeling to find out some of the "educators" and leaders in my industry (some I even worked with for extended periods) can be so wrong, or at the very least the coming to the conclusion that thier teaching technique was not so effective.

I am alot less confused now but I still don't feel competent enough with the physics aspect to ever have a serious debate with experts on the particular topic of "amplifier power causing damage" and its subject matter. However, I have aquired enough info here to deal with anyone at or below my level, perhaps teach the basics effectivly and educate the customers who tend to blow stuff up.

I always realized that there are differences in the way a tweeter deals with power as opposed to a sub, and the JBL paper you linked helps explain it well,at least in my opinion.

My best results regardless have been from trial and error in the real world. I have learned (and this is tough) to ignore the specs (well at least when dealing with low to mid end components) and use what pleases the customer, keeping reliability has a main factor when designing the system or upgrading a component. This is not always easy when you have no faith in the reliability or honesty of specifications but being in this busniess for a long time you pick up "patterns" which helps decide the best product for the end user (consumer, I hate that word..lol)

As far as what "sounds" better I gave up on the argument years ago. WAY too subjective.

Thanks again.

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

***Side note.  Some of you should check out that JBL link. It looks like I wrote it...lol

well at least what I would have wrote a few days ago.

Peace everyone.

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic