icon

Best place for 2 subs in a cargo van

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deftonain 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have two 12's and a van with nothing in it but the front two seats, front door panels and a rubber cargo matt.
Where would be the best place for my subs? Way in the back, just behind the front seats....?
oh and the 12's are 1200w a peice and the amp is 1200x2@4ohm
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  

There is a lot of unknowns in this post to give a proper response...

First off, what do you consider to be "best"? I'm assuming that you mean the loudest db's since that is what everyone is usually after. If this is the case then there are still questions to be concerned with, such as what type of enclosure to you plan on using? Are you using this vehicle for competition? These questions would need to be answered to give an accurate response...

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
deftonain 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry about the vague post. I want it as deep as it can go but still sound clean. The box that they will be in has to be built to fit where they are going to sit. Sealed or vented also is not decided because I dont know whats best for this applacation. Im not looking for a prize winner. Just a slight head turner.
I have been thinking of many diffrent spots and how to build the box/boxes to be as out of the way or even useful if possible. I really dont want the van to lose its cargo abilty but if it takes unhooking and moving the box to load stuff up for the best sound, thats fine.
So far my ideas are one over each weel well with the drivers side pointed at the passenger seat and vise versa. With that im thinking I might not get as much out of them as I would if they where closer. Another Idea is to put one behind each seat at lower back level. I know I would feel them then but im not sure of the sound.
The subs are
Directed 12' sx
The amp is Directed D1200
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Well if I am understanding your idea for placing the subs on opposite sides, then you might run inot a lot of cancelation problems. Their sound would be in a sense "crossing" eachother and causing noise issues. I suggest a box that is built to specs given to you by Directed. You can also look into WINISD for a nice box size ("tutorial" is a sticky in this forum) too. To find the right location you should move the box around till you like it. You have plenty of room to work with so the placement possibilites are limitless.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

about your idea of the wheel well, put the subs on the back side so they are facing toward the rear of the van. i would go ported just because you wanted loud but otherwise that would be your best bet. if i had a van (planning on buying a chevy astro) i would fill it full of speakers and make a competition van. like arrow said i would try to make the box built to the specs given to you. this site also has a volume calculator so you can mess around with that and make a nice box.

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ideally, place both subs together in the same area, in one of the rear corners of the van. Face them towards the rear of the van or downwards. You need to try spacing them at different distances away from the rear or floor depending on their orientation, to hear the different loading effect it has. If the van is empty, get ready to have a lot of rattles and panels resonating from the bass. Consider applying deadner to everything.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic