icon

dvc vs. svc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jamesbond 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
What about 2 SVC 8 ohm subs and 1 DVC sub with 2 4 ohm VC's?
Shane
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct, I did list 2 different model subs. I wasn't using those in my latter example though. They were only used for the amp rating reference. dvc vs. svc - Page 2 -- posted image.
Thank you for proving my point though. They are still not "equal". Similar yes, but not equal. I'm also willing to bet if you played 2 of each side-by-side, you would notice an audible difference even at the same ohm load using the same wattage. This opinion is based on personal experiences only, I don't have any math or SPL ratings to back it up other than my own ears dvc vs. svc - Page 2 -- posted image.
Are you sure you meant P1's? I looked and there were no DVC P1's listed in their inventory. There were both SVC and DVC P2's, and their specs were as similar as you referenced. Here's where I looked: Rockford 12" comparisson
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry I meant P2's. I am a dyzlexic athiest....I do not believe in dog  *laugh 

Yes the p1's do not come in DVC.

Have you figured out if those 6 "qvc's" can be configured for 4 ohm yet? I have not. If you come up with anything do your diagram trick. I could not do any better then 6 ohm but I think the 1 and 2 ohm configurations are all he really needs, I know he's hoping for 1ohm if is amp is capable.

As far as for Jamesbond...The 2 svc 8 ohms can be configured for 4 ohm in parallel....16 ohms in series. The 2-4ohm dvc's would give you the same options.

But with the DVC's, you have the choice to make each individual sub be a 2 ohm OR and 8 ohm.

As far as any other differences as we discovered you need to check the specs with the manufacturer.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
No, I haven't spent any more time on those (6) QVC's. My brain hurt too much *laughing*
Actually jamesbond asked about (2) 8ohm SVC's and only (1) 4ohm DVC. In which case the single DVC could only be wired into 2ohms parallel or 8 ohms series (like you said). He may have mistyped though.
So to answer the question... The only identical ohm load you can get comparing (2) 8ohm SVC's and (1) 4ohm DVC is 4ohms.
Not to mention that with (2) 4ohm DVC's you can achieve a 1ohm total load. You cannot with (2) 8ohm DVC's.
Either way the basic premis is that DVC's do give a wider range of wiring options, which will give you more choices for different ohm configurations. I think we all agree on that dvc vs. svc - Page 2 -- posted image.
IMHO, DVC's would be the way to go unless you are designing a system specifically for high-rated SVC's.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  

wvsquirrel wrote:
Rock on. dvc vs. svc - Page 2 -- posted image.
Flakman:
Please don't think I'm picking on ya, I'm really not. But I just realized that in order for your "all things being equal" to work, the example would be better using 2 4ohm SVC's and comparing them to 1 4ohm DVC.
That way not only is the total ohm rating (2ohms) going to be the same, but so is:
1) The total number of voice coils (2 voice coils for each example instead of 2 voice coils combined for the SVC's and 4 voice coils combined for the DVC's.
2) The ohm rating for each coil will be the same (4ohms per coil)
3) The wiring methodology will be the same for both examples (instead of Parallel for the SVC's and Series/Parallel for the DVC's)

Not worried about being picked on. Sorry I couldn't answer earlier. Work day ends...but the kid and significant other still want to get fed. One of these days I'll have to find someone that likes to cook more than me. Anyway...looks like things were answered.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
so are the subs going to sound any diffrent from each other? as in one being louder than the other or more clear?
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
According to my JL rep, with equal drive motors and equal final ohm load there is no differance in sound or output level. The ONLY reason is to make the final ohm rating more flexable to achieve. If all DVC subs sounded better why would anyone make a SVC?
There is no such thing as free installation!
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

oops..sorry squirell, missed that one too. But you corrected me correctly. Good going.

I am a little out of it tonight as well. Some "friend" asked if I would swap an amp for 20 bucks..I said ok. didn't really want to do it but figured it would take 5 minutes as all the wiring is there.

But of course he failed to mention he also needed me to run a 1/0 gauge and install a fan. Plus the amp was 3 times the size and I had the previous amp(s) in a custom enclosure stealthed in the floor.

wasn't too bad but every time I give an inche...seems they want 752,432.375 feet. Oh well, just another day in the "install" trenches..

Hope to see you around here later.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

oxygen65 wrote:
so are the subs going to sound any diffrent from each other? as in one being louder than the other or more clear?

In a word, no.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
josh1979 wrote:

hea some thing to say DVC and SVC subs are not identical othe that voice coil

this is a link to the T/S parameters of a dimond d9 woofers look at the rest of the parameterd some are far from the othes so this tells me that a DVC and aSVC woofer are very diffrent the D2 in the model # denotes dual 2 and D4 is dual 4 http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/pdfs/D6%20Woofer%20Tech%20Sheet2.pdf

Unfortunately those differences are a little misleading. Theile/small parameters are obtained by measuring some of the physical parameters, and putting them through some mathmatical equations. Since Re is a physical parameter, and the DVC and SVC subs are rated at different Re's, the results will have different parameters. However when modeled up you will get the exact same enclosure requirements for a given alignment, and the sound will be identical. This is because the physical construction is identical (same amount of copper on the former), it's just that a DVC sub seperates 2 of the 4 layers of the coil between the two sets of leads.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic