icon

My findings on sub placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think that the F3 is where the system is only putting out half of its capable power...just doesn't seem logical to me...or maybe I'm stubborn...
jamesbond 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
I know in a home system for sub placement you take the sub and put it in the chair you will be in the most and walk around the room and find the best bass and then move the sub to that spot. This should work the same in a car or truck but you do have space limitations. You can't walk around in a car or truck.:)
Shane
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

+10db SPL = "twice as loud."  +3db SPL = "twice the power."  It takes approximately 10 times the acoustic power to create a doubling of perceived loudness or +10db SPL.  The F3 of a speaker system is the point where the output is -3db down from average, which is about 1/3 less output, but yes it is about 1/2 the power level.  Power can indeed be measured in db's, by the way, but the common usage in car audio refers to loudness, so people often misuse "db" to really mean "db SPL."

Also, for subwoofer frequencies there can be no "standing waves" inside the enclosure as the enclosure is far too small for this.  Indeed, subwoofer standing waves are also N/A inside vehicles.  In large rooms standing waves can be generated by subwoofer frequencies so they can be a major concern in home theater design.  But for subwoofer enclosure design and for use inside a car, they are not applicable.

Support the12volt.com
qnretail 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2006 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you DYohn, nicely put.

Since we're on the subject I thought I'd mention that the sensitivity rating on a speaker is in direct relation to this equation as well. The sensitivity rating is the volume in dB at 1 watt of power from like 1 meter or 1 foot (I forget..) in front of the speaker. Each time you double your power you get +3 dB. So a speaker with a sensitivity of 90 dB would put out 93 dB at 2 watts, 96 dB at 4 watts, 99 dB at 8 watts, etc. doubling the wattage each time. Other factors obviously will make huge differences on how loud your system will be, but this is a way to get a general idea of what a speaker is capable of putting out when put in relation to the power handling capabilities.

2 x DD9515f's, Digital Designs Z1 amplifier
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic