icon

Passing power cable through firewall

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
murdakillemall 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

I did a search on this but could not find an answer, so...

I own a 2000 Chevy Tahoe (new body style) and need to run a power cable (wire) from the battery to power my amps. I'm using a Rockford Fosgate wire kit for my cables. I would like to find out if someone knows of a good spot to run the cable (wire) through the firewall and also let me know if I may need to dril or cut a hole in something to do it. I'd prefer not to drill a hole but if there is no other way, then I'll have to deal with that.

Thanks.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
Can you find an exhisting grommet??
murdakillemall 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't looked yet. Was asking before doing the wiring because I do not own a drill and if I need one, I'd need to use the vehicle to borrow the drill.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
find the fuse box under the hood and find out how the stock wires get through the firewall
murdakillemall 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I'll look at how the stock wires are getting through. Thanks for responding.
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure there have to be at least 1 or 2 big wire looms in any vehicle, that run through firewall. There is plenty of room in there, don't drill anything.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

Good suggestions nouse...as usual.

What I would do first before drilling is get up under that dash and see where other exsisting wires and stuff go through. If I find a suitible "grommet" I CAREFULLY slice with a razor knife and slide a "fishing tool" into it. (A long azz zip tie works wonders).

I catch it under the hood, tape the amp wire to it, lube it up so it slides back in easily.

Now, if you need to drill be ultra careful. Nouse is right to leave this to a pro. However, what I do is look at the firewall from the inside and see in relation to the brake pedal, where the throttle cable goes thru, bolts etc. to get a good idea where a safe and accesible place to run the wire is.

I start with a small 1/8'' bit and carfully drill without pushing to hard. You don't want to poke anything..it's a nightmare. Once I am through I either shine a light on one side and look on the other for it..or slide a small wire thru the 1/8'' hole to see exactly where I am. If you were extra careful with the earlier steps..all should be well and drill for size....use a grommet. Don't want no blown fuses down the road. If you messed up, seal the hole with silicone and repeat process. Remember, if you can't see light thru the first layer..don't go for the second unless you know for a fact whats behind it.

Good Luck

murdakillemall 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the suggestions. When the sun comes up again, I'll look to see if the wire will fit where the other wires are and/or search for a good possible drill spot. I'd prefer not to drill and I like my vehicle so it would be the last resort.

Thanks and I'll keep yall updated on the situation.

f150fan 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

On that vehicle the grommet for the main wiring harness through the firewall is pretty large with a lot of room in it. It is a double walled grommet.   What you can do is put a small slit in it just large enough for your power wire and then push a dull object (so that you do not risk cutting into any of the wires in the harness) into it in order to put pressure on the inner wall.  You may need some one to hold pressure on the inner wall while you reach in from the inside (directly up from the junction box and slightly to the left) and seperate the inner wall from the outer.  Once this is done it is very easy to run your power cable through the firewall.

If your power cable is small enough you may be able to drop it through the emergency brake cable grommet directly in front of the drivers seat, run the wire over the frame and follow the main harness up into the engine compartment to the battery.  From that grommet forward it is only about a 6inch run to the main harness.

murdakillemall 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

I have another question regarding this vehicle (2000 Tahoe).

I noticed it has 7 speakers total. One speaker on each door with two tweeters and a subwoofer in the cargo area. Playing with the fader on the factory stereo, I noticed that the tweeters in the cargo area were fading with the rear door speakers, the front door speakers were for the front, and the subwoofer didn't fade at all.

When I replace the factory stereo, will the speakers in the cargo area cease to work? I don't believe there is a factory amp, but I don't know for sure because there is no real power coming from the system. I don't believe the original system is a Bose system because Bose isn't displayed anywhere in the vehicle.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic