icon

Best hood pin switch?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lee280zx 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
I just had a Viper 5900 alarm installed (two weeks ago) in my 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE. The hood pin switch installed with the alarm is already loose and looks kind of cheap to me.
What is the best hood pin switch?
Is there an OEM hood switch from another vehicle that would be better (I see some used ones on eBay that have rubber grommets and look more substantial)?
Thanks for any info!
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Harrison makes nice Euro style switches with a boot... but i've used thousands of the standard pin switches that come with starters with no issues at all.... i'd say you got a sloppy install, not a poor quality pin switch.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

I've installed quite a few mercury tilt switches, but they only work if you generally park on flat ground.

We got to the point where we wouldn't even install the DEI hoodpins because even if installed correctly they rust real bad and only last about a year in Ohio's climate.

Kevin Pierson
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Hood pins are a issue they rust up very quick in my area also, we are experimenting with booted ones this year. I haven't had one loosen yey, maybe they didn't tigthen it all the way..
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
I used to have problems with them rusting. When you install it, cover it with a good bit of dielectric grease or some vaseline. Get it all over the pin where it slides, and all the metal contact parts. Also cover where your wire is connected to it. Try this, it helps a LOT. You will have to regrease it about every 6 months to a year.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
CutDog have you ever tried battery terminal coating, I was thinking about trying that experiment also?
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
I always just use dielectric grease on my battery terminals also, never used a "battery terminal coating". Maybe that coating is just dielectric grease. I used some type of battry terminal spray in an aerosol can, and it didnt do crap. They sell "spark plug boot lube" which is just dielectric grease, "bulb grease" which is just dielectric grease also. I've also used vaseline on the battery terminals before and it did the same thing as the dielectric grease, worked just as good. I also read in "TRUCKIN" magazine that a lot of truck enthusiasts use vaseline on thier battery terminals.
Lee280zx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Now hold on here...
You put dielectric grease on your battery terminals? Dielectric means it does not conduct electricity. Wouldn't that be the last thing you'd want to use in these applications?
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Well I've never had any problems with it.... And why to they sell it to put on your spark plug boots and your light bulb bases if it doesnt conduct electricity? Just ask any mechanic what dielectric grease is used for. Or ask anybody at your local parts store.
Lee280zx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
CutDog...
I don't know. I just want to know for certain why dielectric grease is used. Because dielectric is defined as:
"A nonconductor of electricity, especially a substance with electrical conductivity of less than a millionth (10-6) of a siemens."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic