icon

Can undercar neons flash with alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dspoppa 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 eclipse GS non-turbo that I just bought, and am having an alarm installed by a friend who does it for a living,(hes going to be teching me how to install it), its a 5 speed.  I think its a Skytech 2way remote start, I think its a rs400 or 500,  I was wondering if I could hook up the undercar neons and the interior neons to flash with the alarm when I arm and disarm and when it goes off, I think it would be cool, and would also grab alot of attention if someone was trying to mess with the car.  I want to still be able to turn them on and off with the toggle switch I have them on now.  Is this at all possiable, I tried using the search but didn't find anything but people just wanting to control them with the remote.  I ant them to act like the parking lights and flash, and still be able to control them either while crusing or at a show.  Thanks alot, I know someone here has to have an idea. DJ
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, simple. If you use diodes with enough amperage rating for your parking lights, this is how:

Take the 12+ lightflash wire from alarm and use both diodes. Twist the anodes (side without the stripes) and connect that to this wire.(12v + parking light output) You will now have a "Y" with 2 diodes, stripe sides out. Put a wire on each. Run one to where you normally connect the parking lights from the alarm, put the other to a relay..pin 86

pin 85...ground

pin 30 12v constant seperatly fused power source.

pin 87 to the 12v + power wire of the neons.

This will allow the neons to flash with the alarm and parking lights, but will prevent your parking lights from powering up the neons (they are now isolated) and vice-versa.

If you need a diagram let me know. I can't do this here (at work) but can at home.

Any questions post.*

* If you can't find a diode large enough, you can connect more then one in parallel to increase the overall rating. Ex: 3, 3a = 9a etc.

1stclass 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
The only problem that you might have is that the pulse for the parking lights might last around one second, if that, and neons typically take longer than that, depending on ambient temp, to come on once power is applied. 
dspoppa 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

So would a LED type under kit be better?  aren't they instantly on as soon as you apply power? How would I know what size diodes to use?  Master5 could you please send me a diagram for this so that I can get the stuff ready for tuesday. thats when the alarms being installed.  Since its a 5spd don't I need some sort of gear sensor or something?  I mean the guy whos doing it has done alot of these over the years, I mean thats all he does is alarms, but I just wanted to know from some one other than the guy whos making the money off of me.  He said it was very important that I don't try to use the remote start  without 110% knowing if it wasn't in gear or not.  wouldn't a gear sensor(or whatever its called) not allow the remote start to work if it was in gear?  Making it kinda fool proof.  You know the dumbest part of all of this is I bought the alarm wiring CD from this site, but I'm to nervous to try to install the alarm myself.  Is there a CD or DVD that actually shows someone installing an alarm on a car. That shows the different things that one would come across when installing an alarm, a HANDS ON kinda thing.  I know of METRO home study(I think it is). but there like some 300 bucks. I think I paid like 15 bucks for the CD of wirings I got here, so I'm not trying to pay a butt load of money for one, any of you guys have something like that??  Thanks again I've been learning alot from this site and it makes me a better consumer but I want take it to a higher level. again thank you guys!!

mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have my neons connected direct to my parking lights as the power source with an inline switch, if the switch is on my neons will turn on with my parking lights, if off my park lights can be on w/o my neons. They will flash and also stay on after flash as my alarm keeps the parking lights on for about 30sec after unlock. I see no need for a relay or a diode.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

Without diodes or relay isolation what is preventing the parking lights from lighting when you power up the neons?  Maybe while at a "show" or something he only wants the neon lights on. Isin't it nice to have that choice for only a few dollars in parts?

And also, I would be concerned running neons AND parking lights straight off the systems output, but if the total combined current of the parking lights and the neons do not exceed the rating of the alarm system (usually 10amps) then I guess you could do without the relay. I just prefer to lean towards the safe side, a relay is cheap enough.

Technically, you really only need the diode on the parking light side since the relay for the neons will isolate it. Once again, just being extra safe, a diode is cheap as well.

If you wire it as I explained and connect the relay output to the neon power AFTER the neon switch, everything will work normal and as you want, without ANY chance of a problem. The parking lights will work normal and independant, the neons will work normal and independant, and the alarm will flash them with the parking lights as you requested.

Ok...NEXT..DO NOT install a remote start onto your manual trans vehicle unless the unit or an interface is designed specifically for a manual trans. That is all I will say on that topic so I don't get blamed if the car one day by accident drives through someones house..I want no part of that..lol

As far as any dvd or course on installing a remote start...well lets just say it can't hurt. Written a few myself. The thing is if it is not showing how to install it on your specific vehicle, and you are not experienced, it could spell trouble. But since it is your car, if you are willing to take the risk, it is the best way to learn. This way if you do mess something up theres no chance of you sueing yourself. Just be extra careful..use a DMM, make "solid" connections...don't connect to ANYTHING until you verify what it is, and ask for help if needed. (WE are here to and glad to help).

I don't think it matters if you use an LED kit or not as far as the flashing, I have used both this way with no problems. However, the leds use less current so if not using a relay there is less risk. Some real "neons" use a decent size transformer, hence the concern with using a relay. Your choice but if it blows the fuse on the alarms lightflash output, don't blame me. And if you put a bigger fuse in to compensate, and it burns the output..again, don't blame me.

I will post a diagram later, I have to do it by hand as I don't have this circuit on file.

TTYL

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

I am having trouble uploading images. Need more practice here, I am fairly new.

It is a simple diagram so perhaps someone else can post it, As far as the size fuse and diode(s) you need just look at the fuse that came with the neons. If its a 5amp, you should use a 5amp fuse on the relay, and a 5 amp diode or put 2-3a diodes together.

If you don't want to use a diode I can tell you how to do it with another relay instead.

dspoppa 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
I've had remote starts on a couple of my 5 spd's, I'm 26 and have had 23 different cars and trucks, for different reasons motors, and accidents,(one 1 that was my fault), and mostly bads transmissions.  so I'm used to leaving it out of gear, for the starter.  But I have never installed one by myself.  So where can I find a dvd that covers the installation of an alarm and remote starters?  I've been installing TV's, stereos, neons, amps, subs, fiberglass stuff and pretty handy around motors and trannys. all pretty much self taught, I installed an alarm with a remote start on my 87 ford ranger 5spd and it work for about a week, and then it some how fried the entire sound system, not really sure how that happened but it had something to do with the alarm brain, so after that I tinker with alarms but only as a helper, and usually I ask so many questions I end up just getting in the way.  Like was stated before would the on and off of function ability of neons in cold wheather not be worth connecting them to the alarm, and would LEDs be better since they are on as soon as the power hits them, and their not affected by wheather(are they?).  I have a good understanding of 12 volt systems, so if any of you can let me know where to get a dvd showing examples of say negitive door lock triggers and positive triggers and things like that, that would help show how to install one in a hands on kind of way that would great.  Thanks again for wll of your help!!!  
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

I would search around online for instructional materials. Metro electronics institute sells a course and I believe Select electronics has dvd's as well. It should be no problem finding diagrams in this forum for doorlocks and all kinds of relay setups.

I live in a very warm climate so am unaware of the delay with neons. If it is cold where you are just use the leds if you wish to flash or think it might be an issue.

If you really want to get into doing remote starts get yourself a DMM if you don't already have one and learn relays. That's a good starting point, for now continue helping out and watching to learn all you can, you will get it in time. Most alarm and remote start systems should come with diagrams showing most types of doorlock circuits so study those and ask questions.

Take care

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Oh... I am wondering how an alarm brain could destroy a sound system? did I read that correctly??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic