icon

Fade on, Fade off Interior lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ill-logix 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Wow that is huge circuit to fade a light on and off.... You really should look into PWM if you want those kinds of delays. 
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
It's not so much the size, as the cost to build.  Time delay relays arn't typically cheap.  If you could get the sequencing of the relays to work I would say it might work, but I would consiider that impractical.
Kevin Pierson
kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, believe me.... I know!...... I was just showing that it is possible..... just not plausible! I would not do it, it would be a lot of time, and money wasted. I am just showing that it is physically possible using only relays, resistors, capacitors!  It is too bulky,  expensive, and time consuming for me to even consider.... considering there is a much easier alternative. 
kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

Master 5 wrote

"Out of curiosity does anyone know a simple RC circuit that would case a light to fade on?"

This was the answer, but it is just not a good way to go about it.

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

for a pwm circuit device, this piece may work.  http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350605. now to control the input to allow a ramped voltage to trigger it, i'd have to check my notes.

mark

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

Could someone tell me where they are drawing up the circuits to post here?.. I see cardomain.com logos, but I haven't the time at this moment to go there and look around.

A simple RC circuit to control  an interior light would be one transistor, one resistor, and one capacitor... if someone clues me in on the drawing, I'll draw a picture. Basically the RC circuit feeds the base on the transistor.. the transistor controls the light.

Jim

kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have been using MSpaint, then uploading the file onto Cardomain.com. I suppose any site would work, such as photobucket etc.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  

I myself was kinda thinking something similar with the relays. Now all practicality issues aside this is all for fun and theory, not something I think anyone would actually use.

The reason I didn't bother trying to design the "fade" with an array of standard relays is that I think it would brighten in stages as each relay is energized, not really producing a smooth fade. The other factor is feedback from the relay coils, but I imagine diodes could correct that.

Now as far as transistors it's been a long time since I have messed with any. For the masters test all I needed to know regarding transistors is how to identify a "PNP" vs. "NPN". Easy enough. The main uses I have had for transistors in the past was when I needed to energize a relay coil using a device with too week an output. A resistor/transistor easily accomplishes this.

Other then that I would be interested in learning how using a transistor can accomplish this "fade on" we are talking about. Is there a way anyone (mad scientisits, lol) can explain this. If its too complicated don't bother but I would think it not that difficult.

Thanks

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

Oh and as far as drawing my circuits I need some help also. I had a bunch of schematic symbols I collected over the years but when I need something different I will do a google search or do it by hand in paint program. usually plain black and whites and it is very limited.

Not very pretty but it works. However I would much prefer a way to have them neat and in color as I see others post. The way I have been doing it is very time consuming as I have to cut and paste each componenet and draw all the lines manually.

Thanks

kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
The way I have done it has been time consuming as well. But you can change the colors of the wires and or components in mspaint. It is on all Microsoft WIndows equipped computers, unless you decided to uninstall it.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic