icon

Fade on, Fade off Interior lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ill-logix 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have had luck with e-teknet.com .  They run prototype specials all the time.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
I've worked with both Advanced Circuits and PCB123 with success.  PCB123 offers free software to design circuit boards with.
Kevin Pierson
kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

I already have 1N4001 Diodes rated at 1A 50V, I believe this will work... but I am going to ask anyway to be sure, So will this work for my diode in my last schematic? My light is only rated at 0.844 amps.

kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:

Looks good to me. There will also be a slight v-drop through the diodes barrier voltage (if I remember correct it's .7 for ge and  .3 for si) but without actually building/testing this circuit I don't have the abilty to predict the time length/brightness loss with any great accuracy.

The parts are not expensive so you might want to build it and post the results. I am curious myself.

Good luck

Just wondering, but ir I put two diodes in paralell with each other, will that drop down to a .35 for ge... and .15 for si? Or will it double to 1.4 for ge, and .6 for si?

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

No, there is no way to decrease the v drop. If you wired 2 or more diodes in series the voltage drop will add. If you wire 2 identical diodes in parallel the v drop will remain the same. However, the current will divide up and the power handling will double, so if the current the diode needs to pass is exceeding it's rating, and you don't have a larger one, you can parallel them to get the same result. Otherwise the diode will burn up.

The concern about the v drop during forward bias is probably not that big a concern, as it is less then 1volt for a si, and less then 1/2 volt for a ge. However, since this circuit as some resistance in it at all times, the added v drop from the diode will make the bulb even dimmer. Decreasing the resistor value will help, but then you have more current. In that case make sure the diode(s) can handle it.

kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Okay guys, I tried it.... Unfortunately, no Luck. I am going to try to see if I can change the resistor size, and or the cap. As of right now it just turns on immediately.... There might be a fast fade on, but if it does, it lasts less than half a second. Not noticable, but it is also much more dim than if it was direct wired.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  
Throw a big cap or a big resistor on there and try and measure the voltage rise between the resistor and cap.  The voltage should slowly come up.  I would probably even disconnect the op amp for testing.
Kevin Pierson
kymadan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I'll try that,  Thanks!
sk8er666 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
the cap will make the light fade off, but to make the light fade on, you will need a inductor(coil) hooked up in there too. Ill do some math and figure it out for you guys
Master Electrician
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

There are numerous versions of how to fade the interior lights all over the web, here's one of the simpler versions 

http://sound.westhost.com/appnotes/an004.htm

Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic