icon

jl audio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  
do you even own a car? i didn't hear you mention what you drive.
I can eat fifty eggs
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
oxygen65 wrote:
well i will make the room becuse 6 of 13's in the back of a blazer will not be that hard to do in a fiberglass box, and not to mention that 6 13's just looks a hell of a lot cooler than just 2 subs. the only thing im worried about is buying a amp to power them, i need a 1 ohm stable amp. i want to put around 350 rms into each sub so thats 2100 rms, the problem is i dont want to spend to much money on a amp. i was looking at a earthquake phd5000 but im not sure if that is 1 ohm stable or 2 ohm. i think its 2 ohm. any help?
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Hate to tell ya bud but pushing 350 watts each to 13w1's will void your warranty. your total power to 6 13w1v2 drivers should not exceed1200 watts rms. around 150 to 175 watts each is going to be optimum. the best amp for this will be JL's 1000/1, 1.5 ohm stable. at my shop we just finished an install in a 2000 f150 standard cab, we did a cutthrough with 4 12w1v2 subs with a JL 500/1 pushing them, an absolutly mind numbing amount of bass, and from just 500 watts.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

1000 watts from JL mean alot more than the 1000 watts you "Get" from 90% of the other amps out there, too.  Plus it is practically bullet proof.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
oxygen65 wrote:
so as the original post stated with setup do you thing you would be louder
Generally speaking, given the same amount of power, the larger cone area will produce 'louder' results.
Uhh... oxygen.. I think you asked me this question the beginning of the summer (I was away, sorry I never got back to ya)... but uhh...
Look.. either hypothetical setup will be loud enough to permanently damage your hearing after a few minutes of exposure.. I'm really not sure what the Frankenstein-like mods required to pursue the.. I dunno... 9cft of internal box volume that 6x13's would require could possibly be worth in the face of such sublime perfection presented by a pair of 13w6's..
oxygen65 wrote:
the problem is i dont want to spend to much money on a amp
What is this earthquake phd5000?! That behemoth costs like 2K!
Look.. if I had *any* amount of money to spend on a subwoofer setup.. given tradeoff's in box-size, power mods required, etc... a list would START with a pair of w6's backed by a 1000/1. You really can't get any more badass.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
angelars 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE}given the same amount of power, the larger cone area will produce 'louder' results.[/QUOTE]
Not true. Larger surface area will push more air, but that's not going to help you if the speaker has low sensitivity. That's the whole reason for that spec.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
Look dude, if your going to quote me, at least do it properly and include my disclaimers.
sedate wrote:
Generally speaking, given the same amount of power, the larger cone area will produce 'louder' results.
The little precendent there in the beginning of the sentence? "Generally Speaking" ... as in "you could come up with exceptions, but GENERALLY" ...
Anyway, point being 6x13w1's or whatever craziness Oxygen was talking will *definately* be louder than 2w6's... just for sheer displacement.
I dunno those w1's look pretty beefy anyway..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic