icon

GMDL-BP Quirks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

Hi guys,  i usually use the 457G for this application but thought i would order in a dozen of the above just to try them and see if they made my life easier.     I used the first one yesterday on an 06 GMC Sierra..... once installed and programmed i noticed that the doors would lock for no reason... i would be working on the bench and hear "clunk" and the doors would be locked (thank god we always roll down a window as soon as something comes into the shop)

also, when the R/S times out the doors lock and the horn honks.... is this normal for this module?   i never had that happen with a 457G.....

are these modules quirky?   does it sound like just one quirky unit or do they all have little "issues" like this?

right now i am hesitant to use any of the other 11......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
The rearm cycle after shutdown is correct. The GMDL-BP rearms the factory alarm after it loses the negative out when running signal. If the vehicle is already locked, the truck pulses the horn when it relocks. You can try turning the lock feedback off with the personalization switches on the steering wheel. As for it locking on its own, this is not normal. Check that your remote starter isn't programmed to lock the doors on its own. Some systems call this passive locks and is usually delayed for 45 secs to a minute. The GMDL-BP modules are very reliable.
sparky
kgerry 
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
i definately checked for passive/active locking.... it seemed random, like after 5 minutes or 10 minutes i would just hear a "clunk" and the doors would be locked for no reason (no reason that made sense to me anyway)
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have also used a ton of the GMDL-BP, they have been great for me so far. Sounds like maybe a bad module. I just had a CHDL7-PK2 that was bad just yesterday. Those modules in particular seem to have the quirks in em, but not he GMDL-BP in my opinion.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
kgerry 
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thanks... i just wondered if it was seeing the door ajar and wanting to lock it or something weird... you never know what engineers are going to come up with.....
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
gpgtp00 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I know if the Alarm/remote start system your using utilizes transistor locking, then it sometimes interferes with the module causing that same symptom. I If your referring to the trilogix modules, those can have firmware updates but they need to be sent in for that unless you have the means of updating the firmware. I know some of these definately had issues with 06 GM's. I know it kind of defeats some purpose, but for hell of it, run the circuit through relays and see what happens. That would be a fix.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
I love using the GM-DLBP.
In my opinion, the 457G is lousy----no two-step unlock, no domelight turnon, no permiter lighting turnon.
Also, with the 457G, when you step on the brake to disengage the remote start, the domelight and door-ajar indicator come on momentarily----a design flaw that was fixed on the GM-DLBP years ago.
The only bad thing about the GM-DLBP is that if it loses power, such as when the car's battery is replaced or has gone dead, it will have to be reprogrammed.
Like sparkie said, it re-arms and re-locks after the remote starter times out or is shut down by remote.
But as far as just locking the doors at random, that isn't normal. No idea about that one.
kgerry 
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the input Chris....   so is this power down issue consistent?  like every time the module powers down it will need to be reprogrammed or is it only sometimes?

that would certainly seem like a design flaw to me..... i mean vehicle batteries get disconnected all the time for various reasons... i better not be tying these modules too high up under the dash then.....

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
They don't always do this when the battery is disconnected. If it does happen, simply unplug the GMDL-BP and reconnect it. Turn the ignition key on for a second and then off. It will now work again without changing any programming.
sparky
bhurlebaus 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
With the transistor locks I diode isolate and have no problems. If you don't use diodes you will get unusual horn honks when locking and unlocking. This is the only bypass I use for GM(if compatible) and have no problems but the occasional reprogram.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic