icon

Monsoon amp with new HU?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mexi 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone know if its possible to install an aftermarket headunit with no built in power and use the factory monsoon amplifier. Basically using the low level signal from the headunit to feed the factory amps.
mexicang
mexi 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Couldnt i use a very small amplifier to feed high level signal to the factory amp.
mexicang
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  

A very small amp?

Why not just use the very small amp to run the speakers?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
90s civ and sub 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

Unfortunately, there is no way to pass a low-level (RCA comparable) signal to the Monsoon amp.  I've installed a Kenwood h/u in an 03 Jetta.  A few notes about the Monsoon amp:

The Monsoon is a line level amp (speaker wire input, only). That statement alone, should be a red flag.

The amp has no remote input, but rather a current sensing input at the amp itself (front left channel, I believe).  So when you hook up your h/u,  leave the remote disconnected, the stereo will still work. The only time you'll use it, is when you install an aftermarket amp.

Coming from the h/u, the amp has 8 input wires (2 per each channel), but 16 output wires (2 per each speaker). How? Because the amp has a non-adjustable, built in x-over network. 

Speaking from the experience of leaving the Monsoon amp to power the factory speakers vs. getting an aftermarket amp & going through the wiring hassle,  I highly recommend bypassing the Monsoon system, completely & going with an aftermarket amp. 

Hope this helps.

90 Civic DX Hatchback- 135 amp alternator
92 Suburban - 200 amp alternator
Stereo rebirth, coming soon. . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic