icon

8 ohm Kicker Comp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
radiomk1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
I got  a hold of 2 kicker competition 12" but they are 8ohm. Some1 told me they must be house speakers? tru or not. How can I hook these up to sound the best with either Orion XTR 2150 or Orion 2150 SX. Any help will be appreciated. Thanx!  
mk1
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
no, not house speakers. you can get 8 ohm subs from alot of different car audio makers. if they are svc, a 4 ohm load is all you can get from them which should do just fine.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
fox55 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you can buy 8 ohm speakers from dealers as mentioned above running the speakers in a parralel setup will give you the desired 4 ohm load.
MECP Certified
Fry's Electronics MEI - Anaheim, Ca
"Kneel Before Zod"
radiomk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
My Orion 2150SX amp does - 150 X2 in 4 ohms, 300X2 in 2 ohms and 600X1 in 4 ohms mono how should I run this with these 8ohm Kicker Comp subs to get the best bump.
mk1
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
it should do fine. wire them up parallel, pos to pos, neg to neg, then attach to the amps bridged outputs for the desired 600x1 @ 4 ohms. perfect match.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
radiomk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
2 questions - the encloser does not let me get access from 1 woofer to the other ( wall in middle) so can i go from amp (+) to box terminal (=) then hook up a wire from that terminal to the (+) terminal on the other woofer then do the same for the (-)'s. My other thing is the orion 2150sx has the speaker wires in it already 1yellow, 1orange 1black. / YELLOW & 1BLACK/ orange. When I bridge this how do I know which (+)/(-) to use? Thanx!
mk1
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
This enclosure doesn't have two separate terminal cups on the back of it, does it?  If it has just one that means these subs are already wired together.  You can be sure by unscrewing and pulling the subs out and examining the wiring.  Draw it as a diagram on paper!  If you don't have a manual for your amp, look it up online and download it.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
radiomk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the box has seperate terminals for each woofer. In the box there is a wall that seperates the box down the middle (1/2 box  -  1 speaker) thaats why I wanna know if I can  go from amp (+) to box terminal (+) then hook up a wire from that terminal to the (+) terminal on the other woofer then do the same for the (-)'s.
mk1
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that's parallel wiring.  All connections made are of the same polarity.  (That's a strange way to build an enclosure for those particular subs;  it's not like they should be powered by separate amplifiers...)
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
radiomk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
So its OK that I jump it from amp-terminal-terminal? those where not the subs in thawt box it had 2 - 12" infinity but my friend blew them. Thanx
mk1
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic