icon

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasondavis05 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

For all those who know. I'm trying to install a DEI 561t in a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The wiring diagram reads....

Parking Lights - yellow = headlight switch

Notes: Parking lights require a negative trigger thru a 1300-ohm resistor. There is a rest resistance on the wire, so you MUST use a relay.

So my question is should the relay be wired up like this:

86 = (- from 561t), 85 = (+ fused), 30 = (ground and 1300 ohm resistor) 87 = (yellow from parking lights), 87a = (not used)

Also does anyone know where I would find the lock motor wires and their color? The 561t will be used with the factory keyless so I need to get a (-) or (+) from the lock motor unless you guys know a better way. Thanks.

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

The relay wiring you posted will work fine for the lights.

As far as doorlocks on that vehicle...If an interface module is not available, use ORANGE / black and pink/black at the driver door lock switch in the door to lock and unlock the driver door. Use ORANGE / purple and pink/purple at the passenger door lock switch in the door to lock and unlock all of the other doors. These wires are reverse polarity (5wi).

So basically it's quicker to use a module but it can be done with relays as well. No other shortcuts that I know of on these.

jasondavis05 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
master5 thanks! I don't need to lock or unlock the door though I just need a pulse from them to trigger the 561t starter. Any ideas?
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
What I would do is use a meter and see what happens at the switch wires when you press lock with the factory remote. Then connect that to the trigger of the dei unit for the pulse.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

Out of the dozens of Cherokee's i've done i have never used a relay on the yellow light wire and have never had a problem. I wish i could remember the value, but it is different when not using one. I simply grab my pack of relays and ground the yellow thru each relay until i hit the one that makes just the parking lights come on(the headlights come on with the wrong values). It never takes me more than a minute to find the right one. Next time i will write the value down so i remember. Still, it's quicker than wiring a relay up.

As for motor leg wires, you can get the lock wire in the boot at the rear left door. Set the RS to activate after 2 pulses and use this wire. When using the factory remote, the first press only does drivers door and won't send a signal, but the next two will and will start the car. This trick is much easier than going in the drivers door for the motor leg there...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jasondavis05 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
sweet thanks guys! I try it out and let you know what I come up with.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

Agreed with Mike m2. If you experiment with resistor values you can do the lights without relays..as a matter of fact I use the same procedure with 1 wire doorlocks and have sucessful results.

And using the leg of a doorlock motor will definalty work for the remote start pulse's.

snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

im pretty sure that the relay wiring you have is not the correct way to activate the parking lights.....what they mean in this case by there is a rest resistance on the wire is and you must use a relay is

85 (+ fused) 86 (- parking light output from rs) 30 (light side of yellow wire) 87a (switch side of yellow wire) 87 (ground with 1300 ohm resistor in line)

the parking lights will operate properly the way you have hooked them up (dont get me wrong i do it all the time in those toilets) but when they say to isolate the parking light feed from the rs from the parking light wire at the switch...this is what they are referring to.

please dont bash me

snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah when i dont use a relay for the parking lights in that truck its a 1k ohm resistor......works everytime
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

Don't worry snotdobbs, I won't bash you at all. And have no reason because your reply makes sense and your relay wiring is on the money. Here is what I got off directed ....

The parking lights are negative trigger thru a 1300 ohm resistor. There is a rest resistance on the wire, so MUST use a relay to isolate away from the switch.

It's odd because I am sure I have done these before but don't recall this procedure. I bet someone showed me another way to do it but I forgot. Or perhaps I just used the resistor alone and it worked so I ignored the note..oh well, learn something new every day it seems.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic