icon

1998 dodge dakota locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wil3404 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I have a problem and was wondering if you could help. I have spent a couple hours on here reading the forums so I know there are some skilled installers whom I hope can help me. First of all let me explain what I am doing. Get ready because your gonna laugh. I have a 1998 dodge dakota w/ manuel options and I recently bought a wrecked 1997 dakota that is loaded up. I have grown up in a collision shop so I pretty familiar with vehicles and for the most part how they work.( or so I thought). I started Friday night by gutting the doors on my truck (manuel options but auto tranny) and gutting the parts truck. ( auto also). I first replaced the power window regulators and and the door wiring harness. Then I had to run a hot wire to the window switch and PRESTO I had power windows that worked from both sides like they were installed factory. I thought easy enough. Right? Wrong! I thought hey lets put the power door locks in from the other truck also. Now I know that the door locks function off of a series of factory relays or modules under the dash but I figured I could get buy that. Wrong again. I finally gave up at midnight on friday and decided I would go get a aftermarket actuator and install on my old manuel locks. Another problem I do not know how to include my factory door switch into a sequence of relays to run the actuator along with being able to use the keyless entry from the crimestopper remote start.  I also in this mess installed an Crimestopper RS900 V remote start on the truck. This works fine except for the fact that I have no power locks to use. It also spits a negative (-) pulse out at the hook ups.  I found out how to convert a negative pulse to a positive using a relay but I am about at my wits end. I am very close, I think, but I need Some help from someone who KNOWS what they are talking about. If anyone can help I would be very grateful. A local installer ( I would take there but he has a bad rep) said that this could not be done but I have a feeling I may be able to. I worked 7 hrs friday, 8 hrs sat, 6 hrs today and I havent gotten any farther than hr 3 on friday night. PLEASE HELP ME!
Barnsy
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
are you still wanting to use the factory power locks or did you buy aftermarket actuators already? either way, it's pretty easy to wire up.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have both, but would very much like to use the factory locks. I can take the aftermarket back. I bought them yesterday and was told to bring them back if they didn't suit. They are the clip on style to vertical lock rod that I need to bend here and shim there1998 dodge dakota locks -- posted image.. I am only using the wiring harness in the door nothing under the dash. Can it still be done with out the factory relays or modules? thanks for your help!
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had a chance to look at my post. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I was hoping to take my truck home tomorrow night to get ready to haul stuff for thanksgiving dinner. I would at least like to get my power door locks working by the switch. Could someone give me some tips? thanks
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering how I can convert the pulse coming out of my switch to enough volts to trip the lock. I was using a test light the other night to check it and I got the lock to trip. This was the closest that I have been so far. Does anyone know how to do this using relays?
Barnsy
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
wil3404,
I don't know the working of the switch of your vehicle, but the basic ideas remains the same. The diagram here will give you the idea where to look.
Using actuator, and two relays.
If you have working factory actuator, then used the diagram with the two relays shown. At the door switch, you can convert that to ground and add that connection to the relays.    
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.1998 dodge dakota locks -- posted image.
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you very much for helping me. I follow everything except where you say "can convert that to ground and add that connection to the relays" Does this mean that I need 2 more relays? And that I will need to change the pulse from positive to negative? Then feed that through the black wire in the diagram that says "Negative output from unit? If anyone wants to look at this and help I'd appreciate it. I am trying to get this finished so I can used it tomorrow.  Thanks again.
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I'm finally getting somewhere! I have a lot of clicking from my 4 relays but that is it. My factory door locks still will not work.( I hooked up the aftermarket actuators and the won't work either Can someone please help me wrap this up so I can quit bothering you guys on this topic.
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
I am now installing aftermarket actuators on my 98 dodge dakota. I have all the relays hooked up to where the relays all sound like they are working when the switch is triggered but I cannot get the actuators to work. They are a 2 wire model that need a positive pulse to lock and to unlock. Anyone have any tips?
Barnsy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic