the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1998 dodge dakota locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
The actuators require positive and negative to function, reversing the positive and negative feeds to the actuator makes the actuator move in the opposite direction.
Follow this diagram
wil3404 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
can this be used with a switch? It says amout not using a switch. How can I change it to use a switch. Thanks
Barnsy
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
“The only problem there was nothing on the working on the lock. I used a light(I haven't gotten a meter yet) to check and found that both legs of the motor were hot all the time. Is this correct?”
No it is not. The actuators as you have found out require a positive and negative current to function.   When you reverse the positive and negative feeds to the actuator, the actuator move in the opposite direction. To make it work without having to manually switch between the two wires a relay is added. This eliminate the manual function of switching the polarity on the two wires going into the actuator.   
“. But unfortunatly it is not that easy to do with relays. Can you see where I may have went wrong or what I can do. My switch is a 3 wire it has a constant hot and a wire for lock pulse and unlock pulse.”
Actually, it is very easy! I sense the fact that you are having a hard time trying to grasp the concept of the relay switching polarity, which is the part that is slowing you down. Try understand the function of the relays from the figure that is posted. It may make the explains a bit easier.
Before you start running.
Are you able to get the two relays and the after market actuator working? Take a step back for a second, because I think if I can get you to understand this, you will laugh at yourself that you over look something so simple. Without further instruction from me, try playing with the connection using the two relays and the actuator. Do this on the work table . Pull the battery off the truck so you are not tempted to work on it. I think you must have been at it long enough.   If you get stuck continue to post your question. I am sure if you beat it down long enough you will get it done.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.1998 dodge dakota locks - Page 2 -- posted image.
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Your right I will give it because I refuse to give up. I have been at in long enough about 30 hours! I know sounds insane but It's true. I have tried every wiring diagram I can imagine might be it but still not it. I am going to do what you suggested and see if I can go from there. Does is still seem possible to be able to hook up the factory lock system and switch? Or should I throw the factory lock away and use the aftermarket unit with switch. I would really like to use the factory set up but that is driving me nuts. Thanks for your time man I appreciate it.
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

Good news. They WORK! Man what a project. I really thank you guys who took the time to help me out.  "thepencil" you were right when I saw how simple this was I laughed but then thought about crying when I realized how much time I have wasted. 1998 dodge dakota locks - Page 2 -- posted image. Oh well I guess we all have to start somewhere. Thanks again.

Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
have a nice holiday guys I have to get home and get ready to see the "IN LAWS"
Barnsy
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
You are like me, if it’s a challenge it going to be working, a coffee, no sleep; lunch, dinner and we are off again. My significant other goes nuts on this stuff because of the faulty trait that I got.
“I am going to do what you suggested and see if I can go from there.”
Yes, do that. Take the battery off the truck. Use the battery to power up the relay and actuator for your experiment. When you think you have enough that when you will began to see the forest from the trees.
“Does is still seem possible to be able to hook up the factory lock system and switch? “
Yes you can!   
Were you able to find the two wires from the factory actuator that feeds to the factory system?   Were you able to test them and get them to worked. What I mean by testing is when you applied – and + to the factory actuator wire, were you able to get them moving up and down? If you got to this part you are one step closer. If the factory actuator are working you will have less work to do now because you will no longer need to put the after market actuator in, but instead us the existing factory actuator.   In my options, if you have not been able to figure out how the connection from one truck goes on to the other truck. Forget it. The wire maybe be different from both truck all together. Unless, you have the actual wiring schematic of both truck you are just wasting your time when you applying the guessing technique. It maybe over your ability at this point to do that, but going around this with the basic principle that I show you using the two-relay diagram. The result will just be just the same, a functioning power door locks that you insisted upon getting. The switch on the door shouldn’t be a problem because you now know how the relay works. You are going to use the existing wire on the switch and convert the polarity to fit the working of the two aftermarket relays you have install. Hint, it will be converted to negative.   I hope it’s making a little sense to you now.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.1998 dodge dakota locks - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic