icon

06 crew cab bose onstar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stereoguyz 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
Having problems with onstar, using the stock radio added all aftermarket amps and subs, bose amp is still connected, bypass is done at factory amp.  Onstar is still powered up and cuts out audio on stereo but nothing else is heard on phone or onstar. I have tested outputs from factory amp with oem speaker and cannot get onstar to produce any sound.  I want to add one of the factory speakers into the dash somewhere so that i can have onstar audio while retaining aftermarket amps and subs.  Also i need the correct wire for retaining amp power when key is removed. thanks in advance....
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Vehicle description will help for replies. Sounds like you're mixing OEM amp with aftermarket amps, even though you specified above that you replaced the Bose/OEM amp. Makes no sence.
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, You did mentioned "added". What harness did you use to bypass the amp (Bose amp)?
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

It is strange that you lost the onstar audio since to state you retained the factory deck and amp. I am hoping nothing in the system was damaged. I can only suggest to check if any wires are cut or tapped into at the deck causing this problem.

You vehicles factory deck uses RAP (retained accessory power) which has no acc voltage at the deck. It is a class2 data system so if you tapped into anything other then speaker wires, constant or ground it could cause problems so double check that first. Otherwise there may be permenent damage, just have to keep your fingers crossed on this one.

For a remote wire there are a few options. One is to find the RAP relay or fuse. Use a meter to find a wire with 12v that stays on once the key is turned off and goes to zero when the door is open. This can be a pain and time consuming but it's there somewhere. Perhaps if someone knows the specific location of the wire they will post it. Going to any other acc fuse of brown wire at the ign. harness will result in the amps turning off as soon as the key is turned off.

Option two is to buy a "remote power adaptor". DEI sells one for around 11 bucks. It uses the audio signal from a speaker wire to turn on the amp as soon as the deck is on..and wil leave it on until the deck loses power. A cheap,simple solution if you can't find the right wire.

Good Luck

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Did you test the onstar prior to adding your gear?
The power windows should be on the RAP circuit as well. Maybe you can find power there, even if only to drive a relay.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stereoguyz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

2006 chevy silverado crew cab 1500

Retaing factory look and adding aftermarket speaker and amps.  Amp bypass done using high to low pac converter...  Speaker wires cut after Bose amp direct connection from aftermarket amp to speakers using factory wiring   High to low used at same location (output) of amp... I didnt test onstar unit because i was using a periferal mod, the rca outpus on mod were very low and the amps didnt put out much sound, so then i went to high to low conv.  

When the onstar is pressed the radio is cut off but no sound, onstar can hear customer but customer cannot hear them

plan to try another Periferal mod......

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

If I understand what you posted correctly you did not actually bypass the factory amp, you attached the converter to the outputs. If this is the case all audio should be coming from it...including onstar..the type or brand of converter you use should not be able to tell if its the onstar voice or any other audio source.

So I still think you need to check into this more or be more specific with what you actually did. And/or as asked earlier to make sure that the onstar worked before you "tampered" with the system or if it is not anything you did that is causing this issue and is just a defective onstar unit.

Good Luck.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 12, 2006 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well put, master5.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stereoguyz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

Your on the same track as i am, i've never had any problems with this before, but its my 1st 06, they didnt seem to change anything.  I tend to think something is wrong from the factory because the customer stated just last night that his Temp and Compass on the rear view mirrow are not working eaither, and they were working fine when i delivered the car.   I wonder if there's something wrong with that whole unit.....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic