icon

planing a center console

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
hehe. looks like cardboard wins the cookie. lol. glad to be of help.
pstanton 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
ok in this pic i made these arc peices for the top and back this is where i was going to use thin sheet steel to get this slight arc on top. what i was wondering was if i just put fleece over it instead of the steel whould the fleece sink down in between the arched peices of wood. i whant to try to keep it as straight as possible
planing a center console - Page 2 -- posted image.
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
no no. stretch grill cloth over it, staple it down. glass over that. i'd never suggest using metal over mdf.
bballguy162006 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Or mabye you could use chicken wire as the base or something similar that is sturdy and would not allow the fiberglass to sag
suburban boy 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

I tried mixing metal and fiberglass and it wasnt a good combo wouldnt recommend it.....Goodluck

Suburban boy
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Use grill cloth and staples or hot glue to stick it to the wood and stetch the fabric to the shape you want. glass and reinforce it. You can always fix small areas with body filler later. I have never personally had good luck with chicken wire or other metals with fiberglassing. If you want to keep the arc in the design use panel board, it is thin and bends well as well can be screwed in with regular screws.
pstanton 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
well its been awhile. But here are some more pictures. I have done more to it. I have taken pic though.
i ll try to get them on here soon
i actually just went ahead and streched fleese over it and glased that i figured that i might look how it look sunk in a little i will post them tomorrow some time
pstanton 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  
i was having trouble when mixing my resin after a few i was mixing a few batches one after another in the same tub i think that might be a no no . the second batch seemed like it had some gel in it it was like a thick gel can anyone tell me if this has ever happened or how to solve this delema thanks for all the imput this far
bballguy162006 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

did that happen as soon as you poured the resin in, or was it after a while?

If it was after a little bit, it was most likely because the resin mixture was starting to set.

A way that you can fix this is to reduce the amount of MECP that you use.  That will give you more time to work with it before it starts to harden.  Or you could always work in a colder room i guess...  But I would go with the first option :-)

pstanton 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2006 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
it was with my second and third batch that i mixed it happened a few minutes later i think it was just from the batch before there was probally a litttle left over from that batch i was mixing it right after i was done using a batch that was i could keep working and didnt make too much where it was geting hard before i used it all
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic