icon

playstation 3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ali-d1936 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
i know its not out in europe yet but when it dose im putting it into my golf... many many problems so bear with me and any help will be welcome. i want a ps3 in the glovebox (no problem there) and want to wire it up to a 7" screen in the center console question what one would you recomend????, what im planing on doing is because the ps3 has a 60gb hard drive i want to run my songs of the hard drive through my screen and to my components. i will be using 2 10" subs in the boot with a amp, 2 6x9's with a amp and 2 6" components in the doors, what im really wondering is is there a screen that has what i want??? i dont want a flip out monitor just a screen, and i dont want to "clutter" the console with a headunit if i dont have to get one, is there anyone who can enlighten me. a idea i had was to buy a flip out monitor unscrew the monitor and fabricate it into the dash, and fit the head unit under the screen, would this work and what flip out unit would people recomend, thankyou
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

There are many ways to do this and I will tell you one way.

Just use any 7'' raw monitor and run the video output of the PS3 to it (good luck getting a PS3, there are riots and shootings here to get one and they put them on ebay for thousands of dollars, you might need to wait).

Now run the audio out of the PS3 to an indash pre-amp, (most are 1/2 DIN size so fitting it virtually anywhere you wish is no problem). The pre-amp will give you fingertip control of volume, fade, x over and eq (tonal) settings as well as plenty of voltage output if needed to run the amps.

Now this setup will allow the PS3 as your main source but many preamps have more then one set of inputs so you have the option in the future to add another source (tuner, satellite, ipod etc.) This setup is also the least expensive way to go IMO but gives you exactly what you requested.

Good Luck

advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not too sure about a ps3 in a car the blu ray laser is extremely sensitive to vibration, I guess if you were only using the hard drive you wouldnt have problems but if u decided to play games or something fro the vibration of the subs and the car , you may have a problem.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Advanced auto has a point. What I would do is not play any video games while you are driving (well I guess that's a no brainer..lol). As far as any resonance causing a problem from too much bass (2-10'' shouldn't be too much) you won't know until you try, but again this won't effect the hard drive. If bass causes a problem you might have to experiment with mounting, either more solid OR with some kind of cushioning or "shock absorber". Or you could lower the bass if any games have an effect but once again you won't know till you try.

Keep us posted and if you find a way to get any PS3's at suggested retail let me know..I'll take a dozen..lol.

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
I think road vibrations would be the cause of problems with sensitivity, not bass air movement. imagine driving over a bump, everyone remembers at one time in their live a cd skipping... what happens if a blueray skips, would something get damaged??? who knows.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

It's not a matter of the "air moving" that would cause vibrations. It is resonance. For actual air movement to cause a problem you would need quite a bit more SPL then 2 10's in the trunk will ever do.

But I have experience CD skipping from this, however it's been a long time as i believe the manufacturors have corrected this, it used to really be a problem back in the day. Also notice that with high SPL competition systems they usually have the head unit outside the vehicle for exactly this problem. But mp3 /hard drive is the real solution IMO.

But once again..if road vibration is really a problem with the blue ray as I stated earlier...he just needs not to play video games while driving. He wants it for music with the hard drive..the video games can wait until it's parked if needed. If resonance from bass is a problem...which I highly doubt it will be in this case, my previous suggestions should help.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

One more thing. I don't think vibration to the blue ray will really cause any permanent damage regardless. Apparently Sony must be aware that they are sensitive to vibration and you know they will get banged around eventually...even in the house.

Sony would be swamped with repairs if it was really that bad. However, it might mess up the game you are playing and/or require a reset at the worst. But I'll let you know for sure if I EVER get my hands an a PS3. If I did have one now it would have been put on ebay, I wouldn't even have opened it.

advanced_audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
LOL Has anyone actually seen the crazy prices those things are going for on ebay??? 3000 plus! Thats insane, im definately not that desperate for one. Also it always takes a while to work the kinks out of new electronics, sony has already announced problems with the software not being able to play some ps2 and 1 games.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah it's a joke..I saw one today with a "but it now" price of only 5000 dollars. My friend told me he saw one for 20,000 2 days ago...what is wrong with people? they can't wait a few months when they will be collecting dust in the stores. Thier kids not spoiled enough?? It's like the retarded cabbage patch craze when people were killing each other for a stupid ugly useless doll. For now I get plenty of use from my PS2..I think I can wait a few months.

I just wanted some to sell on ebay to some sucker for what I could get.

My friend waited at 6 in the morning the other day for the new nintendo. He was able to get 2 of those @ 250 dollars each. They were bidding at 600 the last I spoke to him. The power of human stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

advanced_audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
20,000 dollars?!? wow thats hard to beleive, i dont know about anyone else but i can think of alot better ways to spend 20 grand.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic