icon

fleece?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I stay far far away from the walmart and home depot resins man, they are very unpredictable.  Go to a marine or body supply store, they'll get ya the good stuff.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

Iyes..I totally agree. and sometimes the stuff sits on shelves forever until it is used..not many know that resin has a shelf life..it might work if it's old..and it might not..not worth the risk for a few dollars more..and sometimes you might even pay more for inferior product..it happens.

The last batch I got I needed in a pinch so I went to a "chain" autoparts store. Well apparently the resin was a return because the tube of hardener was missing...but I have plenty so I opened the can and like the whole top 1/3rd was hard...that tells me some genius opened the can..dumped the whole tube of hardner in it..and then retuned it.

Now another good source for resin is Select Products..I don't just say this because I used to work there..the stuff is date coded and they even have "bubble gum" scented resin which is good if you glass in an area where people complain about the smell..I love the smell and the fact that it bothers everyone else..but sometimes you have to bend a little. And thier prices, at least for resin..are competitive.

suburban boy 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  
i have to agree just a week ago i bought some form home depot and it was junk!!!
Suburban boy
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

Ah the shelf life of resin.  Who hasn't learned that lesson by soaking a project in cheap resin only to have it not cure.   I remember using that stuff  and my first batch would start to gel in about 30 min.  The next batch I would mix the same way and it would gel in 10, WTF?  And within 5 min after that, its rock hard.  I'll never buy that crap again.

Hey master, that dude that returned the resin is lucky it didn't catch on fire with how quickly that mast've started catalyzing and heating up. 

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah that can must have been piping hot for some time...what probably happened is the idiot thought he could just pour the entire hardner in and then he wouldn't have to bother measuring.

Guess he found out it doesn't work that way. And I was wized because that was the only can the store had so I returned it and had to use some old resin I had..I hate using old resin..well I can tell you know why. Don't use resin from a dusty can..lol.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

I personally prefer grill cloth over fleece.  IMO fleece soaks up huge quantities of the expensive resin for no structural advantage over grill cloth.  I would MUCH rather put that resin into layers of fiberglass mat where it will make the most difference. 

For a tip, I ran into a product at a local boat shop that was awesome.  It is a UV curing resin.  You have no time crunch to beat the resin gelling on you, and any you don't use you can just pour back into the bucket (make sure nothings in it).  Once you are done, just take it outside in the sun and it hardens in about 5 minutes (longer on cloudy days).  The only other place I've been able to find something similar is here: http://surfsource.net/suncure/index.htm/resin.html  Although I have never used the stuff at that link.  For projects that you can't take outside, you will need a UV-B light.  They are pretty expensive.

punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
hmmmm. I like the idea but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit suspicious that I haven't heard of this until now.  Is this available at marine supply stores?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said, I've only ran into it at a local boat repair place.  Every supply store I've talked to has never heard of it.  I've used it on several projects with great results.  Ever have to wait too long for the resin to fully cure?  Ever have your resin harden too fast?  Ever accidently mix too much resin?  These are all problems that it eliminates.  That's why when I moved away, I did so much research to find a supply of the stuff and found the Suncure product.
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
man that is awesome.  So on the link you provided it looked like the sun cure stuff was something that you mix into the resin, is this true?  Or is it just resin itself?  Does it use MEKP? I would assume not because that would cause the chemical reaction we're trying to stay away from plus you said you can pour the remainder back into the container.  Very cool man, thank you.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
The stuff I used was just a resin, nothing to mix in.  The activator was already in the resin, it just needed UV light to start the activation process.  It looks to me like Suncure offers both resin and a mix-in powder.  I like the idea of the powder as you have more flexibility on the type of resin you use.  But I have never had a chance to use it since I've found the site.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic