icon

fleece?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ill-logix 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

about 10 years ago I tried some bondo UV body filler.    I wonder if it is the same thing...  That stuff dried fast, real hard and a pain to shape.

punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I did some research on this uv resin and called my composites dealer and he said that the stuff is real finnicky and if you are not doing production line work where you really need to slam stuff out then dont use it.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
What did he say was finicky about it?
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
With the powder stuff that you add to resin, he said you have to be exact in your measurements or you end up with a real mess.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
The UV product has been around for a while and from what I was told by the marine shop fabricator is that this product should only be used as an emergency fix while on your boat in the water. He wasn't able to tell me if it's a good replacement for resin and hardner for what we use it for but he told me that when he sees it on a boat he replaces the area with proper methods of fiberglass. He gave me some of this UV product to test out so I'll get back to you when I have a chance to use it. And in respose to spandex that hasen't been used since the 80's that probably right and at least we found a good use for it instead of the 300 pound person at the beach.
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds about right because alot of the sites that I found it on mentioned using it to fix a crack in a surfboard.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
The place where I get the UV resin at is a boat repair company.  They keep it in stock for their own uses and seem to be very happy with the stuff as they uses it regularly.  He showed me a large book full of different resins that are available, so maybe the stuff he uses is a bit different than the stuff your guy is talking about?
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic