Posted: November 29, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

Use a resistor.

Check this out to know what to use.

http://www.satcure-focus.com/tutor/page2.htm

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

forgive me if I am wrong but everything I have ever been taught about electronics would lead me to believe current would not be an issue here...well at least because you have plenty more available then you need.

Basically as long as the VOLTAGE of the power pack is rated for 3v..I can't see a problem, in other words at 3v what would cause the battery to draw more current then it needs or is able to?

A resistor could be used if you needed to drop the voltage..but the resistors power rating would need to be taken into account..

The basic rules of electricity..

Current is the rate of flow...votlage is the "push" or "force" of the flow...resistance is any opposition to the flow..and power is the product of current and resistance.

If I am wrong here someone please post because this is what I have come to understand.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
oops, I meant power is the product of current and voltage....P = IE...slip up...lol
jasondavis05 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  

I don't think your wrong at all; infact I think you are right on the money about "current would not be an issue here" but he asked so.....

With Ohms law we can calculate what resistor is needed to get a specific current. If we have a constant voltage over the resistor in this case 3V, we just need to work out supply voltage / needed current = resistor value

3v / .350A = 8.5714

So we need a resistor of 8.57 ohm but if you don't find one with this value you have to change it. To solve that problem always take a value that's higher and you can find what the current will be. Say you use a 8.6 ohm resistor you would have 3v / 8.6 ohm = .348A or 348ma and to find the wattage for the resistor just V*C=W or 3V * .348A = 1.044W and again you might want to use a resistor with a higher power rating.

Ok I think thats it, I hope there aren't any typeO's it's late.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Agreed but I still see no point to it. Just remember to place the resistor in parallel if you wish to limit current. By putting a resistor in series you will drop the voltage considerably...You will put the resistor in parallel to control current, although in this case I don't see a logical reason why.

More basic rules..the current stays the SAME in a series circuit..after all it has no where to go or (branch off) but the voltage drop at each load adds to equal the total voltage.

The current branches (divides) in a parallel circuit..but the voltage stays the same.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic