icon

Removing old security system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
choffman41 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
I've got a Karr system in my Honda that's not operational, and since Karr has no interest in answering my questions, I think I'll just pull it out and install something else. Can I just disconnect all the wiring and remove it without messing up any computer stuff? Also, any recommendations for a simple system that essentially has remote door locks and no other bells and whistles?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yup...find the brain...follow the wires back to where they are connected to the cars wires, disconect and tape up up.
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2006 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
as long as the wiring work in your car is in good shape and all the connections are good, you could remove all the wiring you dont need how KarTuneMan said, and if you want a simple keyless entry system you can look into gettin a Viper 211. If you plan on installing it yourself you can pick up one really cheap online, but most *big box* shop only sell it with installation included.
rtfm
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
The Karr products are solid, the support and installation is far from. Karr Security makes it's money loading up the lot with alarms so the salesmen can stick it to the customer with horrifically inflated and ridiculous prices burried within the car payment. I've seen customers pay $2000.00 for a simple ignition immobilizing system.
Unfortunately, the installers are paid very little per alarm so their interests don't linger around customer support. Worse yet, they care very little about how they install the product. Since their customer penetration is a miniscule percentage of cars sold, very few of the installations make it to the customer. This gives them high odds that the install will never be given the chance to work or not work.
I am not joking when I tell you that virtually every Karr install out there will make most anyone wince in disgust. I couldn't stand fixing everyone else's work, so I left... in a hurry.
Back to the topic at hand; I could, most likely, help you out with the questions they would not answer. Fire away. What's your question? Include pertinent vehicle information and where you purchased it if, if you could please.
choffman41 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well, now that we got the valet mode light off, the next problem is that the door locks don't work. The car is a 2000 Accord LX that I bought at a Toyota dealer last month. Apparently they switched it into valet mode. I programmed the transmitter according to the Karr site. It beeps and blinks as they said it would. It seems to arm the security system when I push the middle button but no door lock action. I programmed button 2 (trunk, etc) just in case but that doesn't do anything.  The red led blinks on the remote when I push button 2  or panic button, but not when I push the middle one. I would assume that the installer was smart enough to wire up the locks. So, ...........there I am.
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
I can't help but to ask... Your car does come with factory power door locks, right?
You'd be suprised how many alarm installs I've done on cars without factory power door locks only to see the customer disapointed because they were expecting the alarm I installed to magically lock and unlock their doors. Most displeasing.
By the way... did I miss the year and make of your Honda?>
choffman41 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
It does have factory door locks which work fine. It is a 2000 Accord.  Thanks for the help.
skyfrog 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2007 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
youngblood wrote:
...Karr Security makes it's money loading up the lot with alarms so the salesmen can stick it to the customer with horrifically inflated and ridiculous prices burried within the car payment....
I recently purchased a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid with a KARR system already installed by the dealer. After some heated negotiating, the dealer said he would give me the price I asked for but he disabled the KARR system. The hardware was not removed. A small connector-looking unit is under dash with led? The dealer also said it was intergrated with the factory key fob, (i.e., no separate fob)
So I have a few questions.
How do I tell what model was installed?
Can it be reactivated?
Where is the brain?
Should it be removed?
How would I remove it?
John

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic