icon

Why is it so hard to find installers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Sometimes i just can't believe how difficult it is around here to get installers to even apply for a job. We offer more than anybody in the state, yet they don't come. We've ran adds in the paper for weeks on end and you get one or two aps, and those don't have a clue what they are doing. We've evevn been thrown out of CC for soliciting installers it's that bad!!! Are there probems with this everywhere, or just here in Maryland? Where do you guys advertise for installers?
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Not just you     Louisiana is just as bad.    Has been for years.
rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
where in MD are you? I got a budy up there pretty good with installs
soundzplusinc 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

it is that bad ----

Im here in the Chicago Area ... have had Ads on here .... Zero Responses....

Ads in papers-- worthless ....

NO Idea ---

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
Rudy we do dealer work so it's onsite mostly, but based out of Laurel Md.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
cavsfan 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
I think it is a pay issue. Lets face it the pay is not that great for the most part. Many good veteran installers move on into other things just to survive.Or our bodies just don't hold up. I have disc problems in my back and severe cartilage damage in my right knee. I am still in the buisness some what, I am now sitting behind a desk providing tech support for a GPS tracking company.  Everytime I help out my buddy who owns a shop on Saturday's I go home in extreme pain. Good luck finding a quality installer I am in the same boat I can't find a good RELIABLE installer to save my life.
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
I dunno about the pay, i start trainees at 36k and decent installers make over 50k. I got guys making 90k! Just today a guy put notice in, we had him marked for 46k this year and it wasn't good enough for him. He found another job paying more and left. I guess i'm just old, when i was younger i would have jumped at 46k...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like it's been covered pretty well. We don't get paid enough, we kill ourselves in the process, and for most there is no room for advancement. Not to mention the more or less "forced" overtime. Of course I choose to stay with it and put up with all those things so I can only blame myself..
" start trainees at 36k and decent installers make over 50k. I got guys making 90k"
So what's the difference between the guy making 50k and the guy making 90k? Something tells me it's not MECP certification.. Do you provide company vehicles and/or gas? Are your installers hired or more subcontractors? Seeing as how your training pay is around where most installers max out, I'm wondering what the catch is.
Mike
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

No catch.....They are hired employees, no weekends, 401K, paid holidays and sick time, rarely work over 40 hours, even a decent medical plan. You use your own car but we pay mileage.  really the only difference between the guy making 40k more is he lucked into a dealership that likes him and request him to be thier guy. It is a combination of salary and commision so hustling does make you more. I could care less about MECP, i couldn't pass the test myself!

Sounds good, doesn't it? So why can't i get guys to apply that know anything?

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

Man I don't know I may sell my shop and move to maryland....I interveiwed about 20 guys this fall, I hired zero. In my area everybody is an installer, its amazing the crap some of these morons do to cars. I just hired a guy that used to install for me awhile ago, he's only part time but he does decent work which is impossible to find here. Most installers  up here make from 6.85 to 10 and hour which is not enough to support a family. I now if I offered 36k a year to start someone out I would have everybody and there brother in telling me they were a "master installer", they would be lined up for a mile....... I wish you luck as I feel the pain of being short handed, good luck. 36k man I haven't had a pay check in a year hmmmmm.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic