icon

Mythbusters, Car alarm short

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjeff42 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
okay,when i put a alarm in a car usallt the first thing the customer ask me is "can a theif short my alarm out?" mythbusters should do a episode on this. I heard if the windows are tinted, use a center punch can be used to break the glass w/o the shock sensor going off.popthe hood cut the siren. I heard breaking the headlight bulb and touch metal to it and it will short out the constant fuse. i remember a install shop a while back was installing the valet switch on the outside of the car,and were stealing the product back. so with a basic alarm,no back up battery,no motion sensor, can someone really get through a car that is armed?
tuleman 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

as long as you used  BACK-UP BATTERY you can stay relatively safe...even if they take a car battery and short it out directly on the vehicle...all fuses will blow...but if ya put a backup battery in...siren still goes...if installed properly...(good to diode isolate or fuse positive and negative) ahemmmm.

thing is what are they trying to steal.... what's in the vehicle or the whole thing itself...if your customer is interested in protecting the vehicle and has no high dollar tunes...a backup battery is not that important because they will want to move the vehicle and blowing all the fuses dont help their cause much...

if they have a nice stereo a back-up battery is a must have....IMHO

redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2006 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
shorting the headlight wire will do nothing for the alarm considering the alarm is not (usually) hooked to the headlight but is hooked to the parking  light wire.  Also shorting the parking light wires would only blow the parking light wire fuse off of the brain and prolly not blow the 12v constant from the brain
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

Wire a relay to the starter wire and perhaps a window switch. I did this to a friends car a while back, in order to start the vehicle you had to push the driver side window switch up and then start it.

I know it was a dumb idea but thats what he wanted. Beleave it or not who would ever think to hold a window switch then start the car.

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
If a shop wanted to steal the car back they would jsut program another remote to the car.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
thats just what i was thinking misterjimbo. LOL why run valet switches all over the place...
on some older cars you could short the parking/indicator wires to blow alarm brain. but not on modern alarms.
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
au5599 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

first always remember, if they really want it they will get it. It is as simple as a tow truck.

Also if you short a battery to the vehicle you got a few issues from possibly exploding batteries to shorting EVERYTHING out. So there isnt going to be anything of actual value.  60A fuse takes awhile to blow and you do not have a fuse on your ground wire going to your amps. In order to short the vehicle out you have to take a second battery and connect power to body and then take the ground and hook up to power like starter or something. Other way is take both power and ground and put to the body but your feeding everything from alarm to radio to amplifiers  that same short. 

To keep it simi safe  paging alarm, multi sirens even airhorns with poer and ground for alarm and sirens to battery. Set shock sensor to auto trigger with no prewarn. Walk around vehicle and smack back window and trunk  kinda in the middle. Not too light but not too hard.

I always tell customers, it can go down BUT if someone hits the back window and it dont go off I dont want them coming back complaining.  It is set up to sense everything and I show them so they understand why it is.

Street Dreams Car Club
93 GRAND CARAVAN SE / Astro
Team New York SS3-4 06 & SM3-4 07 DB Drag World Finals
2003 Chevy Suburban LT / 98 GTP

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic