icon

Plexiglas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soulassasin732 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
ok i wanted to make a custom enclosure for my amp and did some researchign but could not find it. can you screw into plexi glass or will it make it crack or something? if you cant screw into it what can i do to make it stay on the fabric that is on the wood? note i havent started anything
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

My brother used to have a box with plexiglass.  The plexiglass did crack when I torqued the skrews too much.  It works fine when you pre-drill the holes and don't over torque them.  I was researching different materials and I found that a clear matterial called Lexan has superior strenght; you can even hammer a nail through it and it will not crack.  It doesn't scratch as easily as plexi-glass either.  They sell small sheets at the home depot.

Has anyone used Lexan on their installs?  It is a bit expensive compared to plexiglass

Poly Dollies
soulassasin732 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
really thanks ill do some researching on it
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

I'm going to say the thicker the material is (1" compared to 1/4"), the softer it is (lexan compared to plexiglass), the further away from the edges the holes are, and predrilling the through holes so no screw threads hit and allow for some expansion and contraction of the panel and/or the enclosure,  the better off you will be. By using large washers, trim rings, and plenty of screws, to spread out the clamping forces or loads on the plastic it will also reduce the chance of stress cracking.

You can drill and thread a lot of plastic materials but you just have to know the materials and methods of attaching them to another material.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2113299880049730488ltQwhl

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
soulassasin732 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
thanx where can i get plexi glass and how much is it because i cant find it anywhere online
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
plexi is available at HomeDepot.
lexan is some madly expensive stuff, father used it as a windshield in his ultra light. bends in two directions... or seems to anyways. lol. he spent no less than 200 bucks for a 8 x 4 foot sheet of it. or at least i think thats what he said. i could be mistaken. *is on three types of decongestants*.
soulassasin732 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
can they cut the plexi glass to the size you want it and how much will it be for a sheet of plexi
soulassasin732 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
can they cut the plexi glass to the size you want it and how much will it be for a sheet of plexi
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
the one locally will cut it in one direction for you, ie - 8 x4 sheet can be cut into a 4 x 4 sheet or a 8 x 2 sheet.   or any other assortment. they don't like partial remnants laying around. THEY might do it where you're from, not sure. couldn't tell you the price though. haven't needed plex in a long time.
soulassasin732 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
alright thank you
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic