the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

96 Grand Cherokee keyless issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I have a puzzler for you. We are installing a Prestige APS56 remote start/keyless entry system into a 96 Cherokee. We are using a DEI 455TW door lock module as an interface. Locks and remote start work fine. However when unlocked, it immediately locks again. When touched to ground, unlock works fine. We tried adding diodes either direction without luck. So I wired up a pair of relays to send just ground. This still didn't fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone?
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm i used that module before and it worked perfectly.  Its possible u have a defective unit.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
It doesn't seem to be the unit as it works just fine when we tap the lock wires going into it  to chassis ground.  It only seems to have problems with the alarm input, even when "filtered" by a relay.
au5599 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
test the output from the alarm.
Street Dreams Car Club
93 GRAND CARAVAN SE / Astro
Team New York SS3-4 06 & SM3-4 07 DB Drag World Finals
2003 Chevy Suburban LT / 98 GTP
Steven Kephart 
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Tried that, it works fine. When providing negative to the lock wire, it provides positive to the unlock wire. I thought maybe the positive was causing the problems which is why I wired in the relays. Still no luck though.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart,
I don't see how adding diodes and relays ties into correcting the issue you have at hand. 455 module does all the work without any additional help. The 455 module receives the correct command, it acts on that command and send that through to the CCD bus wire which runs to the network vehicle module. That said, if the alarm unit is sending the incorrect signal that may be the issue. I say this because I encounter that same scenario, but differ in term of the behavior. I got unlock issue instead of lock issue you have. It was a defective alarm unit. Hopefully, you have another brain to verifly.    
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.96 Grand Cherokee keyless issues -- posted image.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said, the output from the alarm was tested and is working correctly.  I thought maybe the positive output from the alarm may be effecting it somehow, so we tried blocking it with diodes, and finally added relays to send our own ground source.  For some reason this didn't fix the problem, while touching the wire to ground works fine.  It sounds like we are just going to have to pull out the 455 module and run wires to the lock motors.  I just don't understand why the problem is occuring.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Well for those who care, we figured out the problem today.  My boss suggested that I run the factory alarm disarm to the vehicle's disarm wire instead of into the 455 module.  This solved the problem.  I'm still uncertain why it caused the issue, but it works fine now.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Where did you have the FAD wire going to on the 455T? There's not even an input for it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic