icon

2001 Monte Carlo SS Amp/Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
i wouldnt combine your negative speaker terminals for the sony amps input because it will combine them at the speaker as well.  Hope it works out well for ya.
wretchedunloved 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  

I was thinkin' about that, how should I go about wiring from the speakers to the amp so I don't cause the speakers to short?

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

I think the sony amp comes with a 4 pin plug that plugs in to the high level input on the amp.   

white -  left speaker (+)

WHITE/ black-   left speaker(-)

gray-  right speaker(+)

gray/black-  right speaker(-)

It should say all this stuff in the manual its pretty straight forward,  just make sure you know whats (+) and whats (-) for both speakers.

wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ahh, thank you!  I'm sure waiting until I get the amp and speaker manuals would answer some of my questions, but I like knowing more!  I'm going to try and run the power cable now, since it will probably be the most difficult part... Especially since there is *no* room under the trim along the bottom edge of the inside of my car to run it, gonna have to get creative...
2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 3:42 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone have a super secret install location for an amplifier?  I took a good, long look at my trunk, plenty of room for the box, which I am getting tomorrow with the rest of my gear.  But, nowhere to install the amp.  I can't hang it to the top of the trunk, due to the factory amp and deck speakers, the wheel well's are shaped oddly, so it would be really tricky to mount it on the sides of my trunk.  And the floor of my trunk has a full-sized tire recessed into it, with a false bottom of sorts.  I don't really want to mount my amp there, anyone have an idea?

I am going to see how much clearance there is around my box once I slide it in there, and I might end up mounting the amp to the back of the box, against my rear seats, but I'm not sure how it will be for ventilation, don't want it overheating.  My rear seats can fold flat, and I never... Ever... Have people in my back seat, so I could keep the seats down most of the time.  Would that hurt my sound at all?  Having the back of the box pointing directly into the passenger compartment, that is.  Or, could I face my subs straight up and mount my amp against the "bottom" of my box?

Any ideas would be awesome... And if you know of a good way to run a 4awg power wire without using the floor trim, that would be awesome as well, since it would take some magical abilities to get that wire under the trim, there is just *no* space whatsoever for it.

Thanks!

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Well you could get the PAC Trunk LOC...it has a remote lead in coming off of it making one less run of wire for you and easier installation
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

I'm going to give my amps speaker-level inputs a chance.  It supposedly will stay on as long as there is voltage on the speakers, and since I am using speaker-level inputs, that should be any time the HU is on... Unless I am mistaken.  If the sound quality isn't what I want, or if the amp decides to cut off randomly, I will probably install a trunk LOC.

Would I be able to mount my box facing upwards?  That way I could mount my amp to my box, which would make installation a *lot* easier since the roof of my trunk is taken up by the speakers and factory amp, and the sides of my trunk don't have a flat enough space to mount it.  The floor is a recessed spare-tire-holder, so I can't mount to that.  Would there be a problem with damaging my speakers, or poor bass quality if I mount them pointing upwards?  Or downwards... Or facing the passenger compartment... Any of those would work.  Or I could face them normally and mount the amp to the back, but I dunno how much my amp would appreciate being wedged against my back seat.

I hope I can figure out a way to run the power to my amp, getting all my gear in a few hours!  Should be fun times.

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  

Hm... Just did the calculations, and I'd be 1.5% over the reccomended numbers for upwards/downwards mounting, so I gotta face them either towards the passenger compartment or the trunk.  So I suppose the question is...

Should I...

A) Mount the subs facing the rear of the car and mount the amplifier behind them, pushed against my rear seats, or

B) Mount the subs facing the front of the car, my amp mounted to the back of the box in more open air, or

C) Mount the subs facing the rear of the car, and make some kind of bracket to mount the amplifier somewhere else.

Thanks again for all the help!

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
Don't face the subs toward the cabin...won't sound as good.
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  

Just read that, heh.  Was about to reply again, but I decided three replies in a row would make me seem... Desperate, or some such.  I think I have everything figured out now for tomorrow, minus where I'm putting the bloody power cable in my car.  Think I'm just gonna jack up my car and run it under it.  I figure a hole in the trunk to get it there is easier than a hole in the firewall, never seen such a crowded firewall in my life, I'd be terrified to drill into it.  And I have to run it along the right side of my car, because the battery is all the way at the front of the hood on the right, and my power cable won't make it across the entire engine bay, then to the trunk, unless I go ghetto and make it look like crap running it across my manifold or something equally stupid.  I won't be doing that.

Other than the power wire, the only thing I'm not sure about is where to mount my amp.  Would there be much of a problem mounting it on the back of my box?  It'll be pushed against my rear seats, but then again... I can keep them folded down 99.9% of the time.  I've had one person in my back seat in the last 6 months.  Would there be any obviously foreseeable issues mounting my amp on the back of my box against my rear seats?

Thanks thanks!

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic