Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dirtydodge 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
2WSS-AS with 4 button remote
this is my first Compustar remote start install
i have installed many simpler remote starters before but this one is giving me trouble
i have just hooked up the main 8 wires to the appropriate ones off the ignition switch and the parking light wire
anytime i turn the key to ign it blows the 20a ign fuse under the hood of the truck, if i remove both of the relays from the compustar wiring harness it doesnt do this and allows the truck to start.
i figure if i can figure this part out i can finish the rest of the alarm install, but not getting past this step is blowing my mind.
it happens with either of the relays in i should mention, i have tried them both independantly
thanks in advance for any help
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
I know a thing or two about remote starter. I may be able to help you. I don't remember 8 wire, I recall 5, 6 only if you include parking light, 7 if you run 2nd Accessory with the addition of an external relay. Post your connection from your remote start unit in details with wire colour, polarity, against the connection of the vehicle. I think that is probably the best way for everyone here to trouble shoot your work. At this point I don't quite understand what relay and wire you are referring to. I think detail is the key here.   
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2000 GMC Sierra Compustar -- posted image.
dirtydodge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
i have the red wire hooked to the constant power into the ignition switch +12v full time
i have the GREEN / WHITE wire hooked hooked into the light blue parking light wire
i have the red w/white wire hooked to constant power +12v fulltime
i have the white wire hooked to the brown wire(accessory)
this is where i get iffy
the purple wire hooks into the starter kill relay,..which i have the yellow wire hooked to the starter side of the yellow wire,..the yellow and black wire is hooked to the key side of the yellow wire
the green wire hooked to the pink +12v in run position wire
and i have a solid ground on the black wire
i have the DEI 556L passlock bypass hooked up and working now, i have the remote initialized,...the whole system kicks on (lighs, dinger, fuel pump) but then it doesnt crank over,..
when i manually start it after i engage the remote starter i can pull the keys out and it runs until i shut it off with the remote
the second relay seems to be switched for a 2nd ignition wire,...but if i go by the wiring diagram and ground the purple wire it is constantly +12v
my main problem now is getting the starter to engage with the remote start,..then i can weed out the other problems
thanks again in advance for any help
thepencil 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Everything you have seems correct. I believe there may be a bypass issue, bypass not programed, connected or activating correctly during the remote start period. Black Status wire? Where is that connected?    
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2000 GMC Sierra Compustar -- posted image.
dirtydodge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
the black status wire is connected to the status input of the DEI 556L bypass
dirtydodge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
the bypass goes through all of its learning steps and confirms it has learned the resistance,..
i am not getting any power to the yellos starter wires while using the remote start,...but i do when using the key
dirtydodge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
do i need the factory disarm wire hooked up? if so can anyone give me an idea on where the keyless entry module is located?
thepencil 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
What about Tach learning process? Done?
dirtydodge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
i couldnt find the tach wire so i flipped the dip switches to alternator sensing and hooked that wire up
dirtydodge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
now i went out after taking a break and double checked every wire,.. all are hooked up according to the manual so i gave it another try
i hit the remote start button on the fob and it did the same thing,...but after about 10 minutes the truck started and died after about 5 seconds,....anyone have any ideas?
what would cause the compustar controller to wait that long to start the truck?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic