icon

Scanner for the shop?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking of getting one snappy has a used Solus model for sale.. 1200 is kinda steep, but I was wondering if anyone uses one a lot..   I just want it for reseting lights and possible checking codes when those nasty buggers pop up...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

Its definetly a good tool to keep around to erase the codes, but autozone has a simple one for 100 bucks for OBD-II cars

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
I had actually been thinking about purchasing one for my own use, I borrow one as needed now. I can not justify the cost of the elaborate pieces out there. I just want one that displays codes with simple text on the screen so that I do not have to look up codes in a book that will get trashed from being in the garage. Does anyone have any experience with Autel GS400? It is only 100 bucks on eBay and looks like all I would need. All opinions welcome.
Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
Are you looking for something that does all the codes like obd, airbags, abs, or just obd? I like the Actron line of code readers. I have a Actron 9175, it gives an explanation of the codes also.
Tacomacrew
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
I have the autozone one and have had it for a while and for the 130 I paid 2 years ago, it has pulled me out of the fire a few times. the only downfall is the scanner I have is for domestic up to 03, and there's a seperate one for imports. Doesn't reset airbag or abs, and nothing works on volkswagen, so for what it does, it was worth it. I mostly work on domestics, so hope this helps.
My rifle is my friend...
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
I did not think that ABS or SIR codes could be cleared by a generic reader. The reason I was looking at that one was it is OBDII and CAN. I am really only interested in it for reading the diagnostics codes, and clearing the check engine light if needed.
That Actron piece looks like it would do the trick.
Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
I have since gotten the update for my Actron to the CAN.
Tacomacrew
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
I know the one I'm looking at is upgradeable from the tool truck, It doesn't do CAN yet, but it does troubleshooting and all kinds of neat stuff... I figured it would be worth it, just for the fact that we are doing a lot of deseil preformance stuff here too. and one in a while they like to pop codes, also for those pesky dodge products... Does anyone have a Solus?
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
Twelvoltz 
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
You are looking to do more than what I reader does. If anyone is interested in one that does OBDI, OBDII, and CAN and is upgradeable, I just picked up the AutoXray 2500 for $160.00 SHIPPED. It even came with the update cord and software. The one I bought was from Ebay...item #190066591442.
Firemech 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
The solus is a good tool, $1200 might not be to bad if it has the 6.4 verison software installed, If not plan on about a $1000 to update it, Still not bad considering it cost about 3700 new. hope this helps   
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic