icon

refurbished DEI products

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  

Well seeing as remote start season has now fully hit, a lot of people i know want me to install them in their cars.  the problem is i no longer work fulltime as an installer and can no longer get dealer prices on the Viper 160's i normally installed for people.  i was looking on ebay and saw a lot of 6 Valet 561R's and figured thats great.  pick that up and i'll be good to go(sans byppasses)  well i noticed they are refurbed ones and im always weary of refurbed profucts especially something that serious. i dont have the insurance to cover damage due to a messed up remote starter(not the install)  has anyone ever delt with DEI's refurbished products?  or know of a place where i can get alot of of around 6 for a resonable price. (viper 160's or comparable)

thanks alot guys

Mike

Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

Good Lord man, the product is already medioker (is that how ya spell it?) at best. Now you want REFURBs.

You can buy the AST product (Ultrastarter) OR Crimestopper....these both you can get from local "stocking" distributors.

The discounted price of a refurb could cost you in the end, both time AND money.

I used to do a refurb program on clarion decks, for my car dealers...just to make an extra 10 or 20 bucks...it wasn't worth it. Defective units rite out of the box, unit's that broke down after a short period of time.

Please reconsider your idea of using refurished products. If you do a "few" you'll be ok, but the more you do, the odds will eventually work against you.

bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
I got a refurbed 561R once from ebay for a good price, there was nothing wrong with the unit all the wire came in new. The only prob was that they antenna wire had the plug rippesd from the wire and the was no way to fix it. Another thing that i didnt like was that the unit and the fob had a burnt in "B" like if it was branded, prolly to show it was a refurb product. Other than those two things, everything worked fine.
meltingplastic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

kartuneman,

why do you feel that dei products are mediocre?  thats all i've installed during my 3-4 years of installing remote starts and have never had a problem, or are u just knocking dei's valet line?  I've never installed crimestopper or autostart but have heard nightmares about those units so i stick to ones i know that work.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
To throw another opinion in the mix:
I put in 8 of the refurbished Avital 4100's so far this season, without a single one being bad.
The refurbished DEI product does not come with any paperwork, nor the sticker for under the hood. It also has a very limited warranty. This to me was a big drawback and makes it so I will not order any more refurbished product. However, all of the units work flawlessly.
To KarTune's comments about DEI product being mediocre, this is one person's opinion, and he is completely entitled to that opinion. I have installed products from most of the manufacturers out there and I keep going back to DEI. I only do this as a hobby, not for a living anymore and in my experience most DEI security/convenience products (Boa and Designtech excluded)are quality units and are very reliable if installed properly (as is the case with any manufacturer).
Bottom line is everyone has there own preferences for some reason or another, if you like the DEI product and are willing to live without the paperwork and the shorter warranty then go for it.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

i would disagree with KTMan on the quality of the DEI products, but would certainly agree with him in saying "why risk it to save 10 bucks?"    the 561 series is a big enough PITA having to change features etc counting all those LED flashes...but why put in a unit where you dont even know what the features are set to anymore... you would have verify the default setting of every programmable feature..... my god, that would take longer than the 10 bucks you saved.....

those units are cheaper enough (price, not quality) as it is, without putting in used product to save a buck or three....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
ive dealt w/ 4-5 refurbished 791xv and 790xv and there is absolutely nothing wrong. The units are retested and have warranty (depend) on them.
id give a thumb up to go on those refurbished DEI products.
btw, nothing is bad 561t or 551t. dont be lazy.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
meltingplastic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
ahh i just looked at DEI's website, i thought the 561 was the 562 series(pictures in doodiety spots) yea i've agreed some of the avital 4000's and its a pain that theres no external led.. my ass would prolly open the brains and make a remote mount led but yea thats.. i'll try to find the 562 or 160's somewhere else for a good deal... i'm not trying to make money off the units just the labor... so im just looking for a good deal.... any one with any let me know!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

Features, (the lack of) user friendly install, tech support, the idea of total world domination....the attitude that our doodie don't stink. I am bias, and I do have a bad taste in my mouth about DEI everything....the audio products, their video products....etc. I have worked in many shops in my 25 years in the BIZ....most of wich sold DEI....then stoped selling DEI, for all the reasons stated above. Quality products like Compustar, and Astroflex.....they spend their capital on product research and design....NOT advertising.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Merry Christmas to all yas

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

you're probably one of those guys that hates Microsoft too    aren't you....   lol

Have a great rant laden Holiday Season pal.....

i guess i'm an anomoly... i sold other brands and got DEI and quits selling the others.....  for humourously enough... all the reasons you listed above....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic