the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How Does a Fibreglass Enclosure Work w/Sub Facing Inwards?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wotugot4me 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
im with jlord16 on this one.
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

crazyjim wrote:
Ok, I'll step in here and say NEVER reverse polarity of a sub, unless you want to be buying a new one anytime soon How Does a Fibreglass Enclosure Work w/Sub Facing Inwards? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

Here's a heads up....the electrical signal that makes the driver (woofer, tweeter, etc.) move is actually AC current which means it switches polarity. They are marked as positive and negative as a reference so all of the drivers would be in unison a.k.a. "electrical phase". If it (the driver) were driven with DC current which is only one way then it would stay pushed out (wired correctly) or pushed in (wired in reverse). Hope this helps.

(HOW DID A FIBERGLASS POST TURN TO ELECTRICAL THEORY?!?!?! LOL!!!)

Pure Noize
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
A subwoffer is simply a pump which is fuled by the switching of current and the effects of a electro megnetic field.  A sub runs on AC current.  Negative is simply a reference, that allows a positive to be established.  A subwoffer or ANY speaker for that manor will no suffer any mechanicla or electrical problems or be put under undue stress by inverting the wiring.  Inverting a current simply chages the reference point and a new one is establised.  The voice coils on a speaker are capable of taking current in any direction, the only thing that will be effected is which way the cone will move with a differnt signal (in phase or out of pahse).  And on that matter, the pahse of a speaker is only an arbitary reference point that says + is + and - is -.  When you are more familiar with electrial theory come back and correct yourself How Does a Fibreglass Enclosure Work w/Sub Facing Inwards? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
djdowdell 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

jlord16 wrote:
A subwoffer is simply a pump which is fuled by the switching of current and the effects of a electro megnetic field.  A sub runs on AC current.  Negative is simply a reference, that allows a positive to be established.  A subwoffer or ANY speaker for that manor will no suffer any mechanicla or electrical problems or be put under undue stress by inverting the wiring.  Inverting a current simply chages the reference point and a new one is establised.  The voice coils on a speaker are capable of taking current in any direction, the only thing that will be effected is which way the cone will move with a differnt signal (in phase or out of pahse).  And on that matter, the pahse of a speaker is only an arbitary reference point that says + is + and - is -.  When you are more familiar with electrial theory come back and correct yourself How Does a Fibreglass Enclosure Work w/Sub Facing Inwards? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

Are you concuring with me or u saying I need to become more familiar with electrical theory because we are saying the same thing.

Pure Noize
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Bhaha im the only person i know that uses the word "concuring" lol.  But yeah i agree with you, that was my response to what our little n00b friend said
Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

aiya... I disappear for a couple of months (lots of hell) and the first thread I peek into has another monster...

Can't be helped I guess... rhysem123 listen to the veterans... they may seem like they are fighting, but they are just repeating the same thing with different vocabulary...

as for crazyjim, his information is misleading. rversing the polarity does not hurt the sub. It affects sound quality, but that is based on how you are setting your system up and the various factors on how your system is put together.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
rhysem123, sorry for highjacking your thread but i had to prove a point and djdowdell and i are now prity much in agreeance, hope this has helped your knowlege abit mate
Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
djdowdell 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  

jlord16 wrote:
rhysem123, sorry for highjacking your thread but i had to prove a point and djdowdell and i are now prity much in agreeance, hope this has helped your knowlege abit mate

I "concur" with your apology to rhysem123!!!

Pure Noize
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
I will go  back to the original post regarding reversing the sub. The amount of room the sub will take (or give) by being reversed will be very small. WAAAAY less than the 30% variance. You are probably looking at .1 ft3 maximum that the sub takes up when mounted normally. Inverting the sub may change the internal volume by about .11 max. It shouldn't be a deal breaker, even with a ported box. Usually, when you are tight for room, inverting the sub is worse cause you now take up more physical space on the outside than if you built the box to fit the sub volume in the first place. That's just my opinion.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic