remote start, 02 Chevy Duramax

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cleanlude 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I'm not an installer, just a willing-to-learn DIY'er.

I'm going to attempt a remote start install on my 02 2500HD Duramax Automatic.

The RS is a ProStart rig (bought at Canadian Tire, looks well-featured though, LCD pager, on-board relays).

I do not fully understand diodes and relays (I do understand the very basics of them)...

I am installing the RS for remote starting purposes only, I will not be using keyless entry or any other feature of the unit. All I want is a delayed start for my duramax diesel.

I have all the diagrams and the tools, I'm just wondering if I need any extra relays or diodes or whatever.

I need to power 2 ignitions (there are on-board relays for both of these, supposedly) and an accessory wire. I bought a JBS technologies Passlock II bypass module (self-learning).

I've been told to stay away from using the Glowplug light as a wait-to-start input because of possible damage to the vehicle?!? I will just use a timed-delay built into the RS.

My question is, from what i've said, do I need any extra relays or diodes? I would like to install this tomorrow, so please let me know quick!

Thanks

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

I've been told to stay away from using the Glowplug light as a wait-to-start input because of possible damage to the vehicle?!?

Ahhhh bologna...

cleanlude 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

Ok then,

If I use the glow-plug light as a wait-to-start, I will need a relay and a diode for it to work properly.

Relay is for inverting polarity as the Duramax glow plug wire is - while the input on my RS is +.

Diode is to not send feedback to the light.

Exactly what type of relay and diode do I need to buy (SPDT? , amps, whatever, don't know much...)

Thanks

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

if  the remote start has a delay you can set for a diesel engine, then use that........it will not hurt the truck to use the wait to start.....but programmed delay will be the easiest.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

Whats the part # on your prostart?

I read some of the install manual on line...WoW, what a sad way to do a glow plug connection. You would think up there in the great white north, these remote starts that the boys sell @ Canadian Tire would be a tad bit more flexible. Sorry to say YES, you will need to use a relay and a diode. OR it does look like you could NOT hook it up at all, 18 seconds later it will fire? If the unit is programmed for deisel mode.

cleanlude 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Whats the part # on your prostart?

I read some of the install manual on line...WoW, what a sad way to do a glow plug connection. You would think up there in the great white north, these remote starts that the boys sell @ Canadian Tire would be a tad bit more flexible. Sorry to say YES, you will need to use a relay and a diode. OR it does look like you could NOT hook it up at all, 18 seconds later it will fire? If the unit is programmed for deisel mode.

Thanks for the replies!

The part # for my Starter is CT-3400 TW. And yes, you are correct about the 18second delay if I connect the WTS wire to my ignition wire. But 18secs is a long time, the glow plug light on my truck usually goes out after 5-8 seconds, depending on temperature, my dealer told me that the vehicle should be started as soon as the light goes out... So I might aswell do it right and use the light as a WTS.

So, I go to NAPA and ask for a 12V automotive 10A diode ? And a 12V automotive 10A SPDT relay? This is really what I need to know before starting my install.

Thanks again!

suburban boy 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

you can tap in to the wait to start bulb on the back of the cluster....

Suburban boy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic