icon

Viper 791xv, Viper 5900, Sebring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jayno20 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
today my siren completely stopped working, it doesnt chrip when armed/disarmed or when the alarm is activated.. the doors still lock and unlock and my parking lights still flash, the remote also shows that the alarm is going off, but there isnt any sound..., what could have happened?
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Is it possible it got wet?
Also, most alarms provide a positive output to the siren, check the ground...normally right at the siren.
jayno20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
the ground is fine, and yes it did rain last night... here's the thing, the installer installed the alarm facing up rather than down... and it rained last night so i went out today and turned it down and all this water came out of it... so after i faced it down, it didnt work... it makes a sound sometimes, but its really low and sounds weak.
jayno20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
so is this thing ruined or should i just let it dry out?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Take it back tell them they pooched your siren, I am sure they will replace it at no charge.
stick42 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like it. Like Twelvoltz said check for output from the alarm itself and double check the ground. I personally run the ground back inside to the main system ground. If these are good then your siren is cooked.
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
let it dry out for a day or 2 after 2 days it still dosent work take it back...
jayno20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
it is still making sound, it just sounds like a little chipmunk now rather than how it did sound... its nowhere near as loud either.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

There are electronic circuits inside most alarm sirens and if they get wet and even if allowed to dry out can stop working properly. Let the company that installed it improperly (having it face upward) troubleshoot it and repair it. If it was facing up then this should be for free. I would also look at it before leaving and make sure it's how it should be. If it can't be mounted facing downward and in a hard to reach area from underneath the car then have them take the whole works out and find someone else that can do it right. For installer's there's nothing wrong with making custom brackets when you have to as long as you charge for it now anfd then. Most sirens also are on mounting brackets and make sure the siren is tight on the mount. It should not be real easy to pull it upward. If so anyone working under the hood could easily position it wrong and not set it back how it should be and then it would require replacing yet a third time.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
jayno20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
on my remote if the car alarm is going off all i see is a little symbol, but i read its supposed to beep too.. is there a reason mine isnt beeping?
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic