icon

Future Project....need lots of help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eld101 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, me and my roomate next year though up the idea of using some solinoids to lock/unlock the door to our dorm room.

First I know we will need some sort of power source.  Maybe a small inverter.

Second, we were thinking of using some cheap alarm brain at the interface.

Lastly, figure out how to turn the lock using the solinoids, wired to the alarms door lock outputs.

First off, I know this is possible, I would say that im OK with electronics and would like some help as well as some ideas how to go about doing this.

All help/ideas are apreciated.

Thanks

slobert 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
I put a security system in my room at my frat house.  bought a cheap alarm and small power supply from radio shack if my door or window was opened the alarm was triggered... it didn't lock or unlock the door however.
eld101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

so can I connect the alarm righ to the power inverter?

How would I connect the solinoids to the brain?  door lock outputs?

Also, how hard to the aux output flip the light switch?

Thanks guys.

camino 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
that is easy,first tell me how much you know about electronics you just have to know how relays work,and yes can use unlock pulse to power the solenoide using a relay for that.that way each time that you disarm the alarm the door will open,and the light will come on,you will need an alarm brain with at list a dome light output ,use the dome light to power your  relay wich  will turn on your light,be carful with this,because this relay will work with 12v dc,but it will close a 120v ac,so be extra carful,ok.good lock,and if you still have questions let me know an i will send you a diagram,another thing,your power supply,has to be at list 30 amp,because of the solenoide,ok let me know about this little proyect.
el camino
slobert 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

inverter- dc to ac (not what you need)

you need a power supply, like the ones in computers

light switch you could do a few ways, put a relay on the wires behind the switch or a door lock actuator to actually move the switch up and down

camino 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
 ok,my mistake let's say power supply, from 120v ac to 12 volt dc.about the sw,you dont have to go for the drama installing an actuator. just a simple relay,thats it.
el camino
mykrowsy 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
i think stanley makes a doorknob/lock that is keychain controlled already.  You can also punch numbers into a kepad or use a key, if you want.  Try checking at Home Depot or Lowe's or Menard's or something like that. Much easier and probably less expensive, too
***Always happy to give misinformed advice***
eld101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
Quote: Originally posted by mykrowsy on January 30, 2003
i think stanley makes a doorknob/lock that is keychain controlled already.  You can also punch numbers into a kepad or use a key, if you want.  Try checking at Home Depot or Lowe's or Menard's or something like that. Much easier and probably less expensive, too

That is no good, I am in a dorm and we are not allowd to mod ne thing like that.

If I do it with the solinoids, I can make sometihng that will just hold them on the back of my door, maybe with some strong magnets.

If possible, is there any way you guys can get links to the stuff you are talking bout?  like from e-bay?

Thanks again

eld101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I was just looking at my computer power supply.  It looks like it puts out 18A.  Is one of this size enough?
slobert 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
probably not for selenoids, you can probably find a larger one on e-bay...
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic