icon

2003 Trailblazer Rear Defrost

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mkohr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

I purchased a Python 1400XP at the local CircuitCity and had them install it. They originally said the could connect the rear defrost. However when i picked up the vehicle they told me they  could not connect the rear defrost because they had no "Tech info" on it. After about a week they called me back and told me that they got in touch with directed's tech support and got the info to complete the install. They told me it would cost an additional $100.00 to install this option because thet need to run a wire to the tailgate and add a relay. I already paid them $120.00 for the install of the 1400XP $79.00 for the 1400XP itself $30.00 for the Data Bus interface/By pass module and $100.00 for that unit.

• Does this seam reasonable for the additional $100.00 they quoted me?
  • Do they realy need to run wires to the tail gate?
  • I am an electrican and pretty savy when it comes to electronics. Is There any whay i can connect myself?
  • Could anyone give me the info to connect myself?

Thanks,

Mike

tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
ummm it is possible they have to run a wire to the tailgate, i think 100 may be a little steep, but it may be a pain for them to backtrack on their install and do that wiring..  Maybe like 50 bucks or so.
dwbarger 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
If they would have used the correct datbus module with bypass then they could have done this through the databus. It would have saved them time and you this money. I think They should do this for free It would be good customer service and I would let them know that. They did tell you they could do it up front and they did not do it!!!
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
A GM-SL2 would do that with no additional wiring!!!  check it out on the Crimestopper website
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
I think $100 is a fair price. They will have to run a wire back to the tailgate. They will need a relay, and possibly some sort of timer depending on what output they are using for it. That also covers any troubleshooting they may need to do. Nothing real difficult about it, but it is a pretty rare request so it's one of those things that you cover yourself on.
Saying they should do it for free (other reply) is completely ridiculous. Also saying they used the wrong module is off.. There is probably a dozen bypass makers at this point all doing different options and features. Expecting any company to carry all just doesn't make sense. Circuit City can't exactly call up crimestopper and order a bypass..
The fact that they did research it and get back to you speaks a lot. Even though they couldn't do it initially, it's great that they did follow up with you and give you the option. Good luck,
Mike
mkohr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

Can't this be done thru the Data Bus Modue? I know the Python remote start kit has an pulse output for this...i managed to get a peek at the instructions before the took them away from me.  Is it possible to connect this pulse output to the rear defrost switch . This 2 is a pulse type trigger?

dwbarger 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
NowYaKnow wrote:
I think $100 is a fair price. They will have to run a wire back to the tailgate. They will need a relay, and possibly some sort of timer depending on what output they are using for it. That also covers any troubleshooting they may need to do. Nothing real difficult about it, but it is a pretty rare request so it's one of those things that you cover yourself on.
Saying they should do it for free (other reply) is completely ridiculous. Also saying they used the wrong module is off.. There is probably a dozen bypass makers at this point all doing different options and features. Expecting any company to carry all just doesn't make sense. Circuit City can't exactly call up crimestopper and order a bypass..
The fact that they did research it and get back to you speaks a lot. Even though they couldn't do it initially, it's great that they did follow up with you and give you the option. Good luck,
Mike
It is not ridiculous to expect this for free!!! You do not tell a customer you can do it and then not do it and then call them a week later they have info on how to do it!!!! Come on. I can install you a starter for $100.00 but not this week come back in a week and I will charge you another $100.00 when I have the info on how to do it!!! This is typical of these chain store installers they hire any idiot off the street and try to train them.
dwbarger 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
yes this can be done through the databus. One module will do everything needed.
mkohr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

can any one give me some hard bacup to prove this . Tech info, databus  programming option , wiring diagrames etc... I have an appointment tomorrow at 10:00 am with them. According to my sales recipt the module they used is a DEI457GW and the starter kit was a DEI Python 1400XP. I cant even begin to tell you the run arround i have gotten so far. I know i gould have done the complete install myself however they would not sell me the kit & module without them installing it.

So far i paid them...

• $79.99 for the 1400XP
  • $99.99 for the 457GW
  • $120.00 for the 1400XP install
  • $33.98 for the 457GW install

Other issues are ...

• They didnt locate the Valet switch accessible location or possibley at all.
  • The parking light flash (confirmation) does not work I can hear a relay clicking but no workie.
  • I believ The Fail Safe starter kill does not work properly. Can still start (with a key) when the system is armed) the manual indicates it should not do tha.
  • According to the owners manual they wer suposed to demonstrate the nutral saftey shut down circuit. Not sure exactly what that means but they didnt show me squat. If it means trying to start the car (with the key) while in neutral it does theat.
  • They did not install a shutdown switch.

Help me please!!

Thanks,

Mike

mkohr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

ANy authorized DEI installers please help. I know understand (according to circuit city) that you can not give out the installation instruction. And i myself cant access them on their web site without an account #. I can assure you that all i want /need is backup to fight with. I Know i could fix this myself with access to the tech info. However at this point i want them to do what i paid for.

Any DEI installers help please.

Thanks,

Mike

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic