icon

How to hold a gauge in a pod

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shrug53 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2007 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I am building a custom console for my 65 Newport.
The console itself will house a 7" monitor, dvd player, and my stereo.
I want to build a set of three pods on the side to hold the aftermarket gauges, but I can not figure out how the gauges will be held in.
The only holes will be to run the wires in to the console from the gauges so I do not see how to get brackets in there. Any suggestions?
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2007 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
take pictures... then we'll have ideas.
shrug53 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
There is nothing to take pictures of. I have not built it yet because I need to figure out how the gauges will stay in so I knnow what I need to build in to the box.
maglin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
show us pictures of the guages then...
maglin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
ah... why not leave the back of the pod open.
or. create a access panel.
maglin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
ah... why not leave the back of the pod open.
or. create a access panel.
puttster 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2007 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

If you want the gauges to run up tthe side of the console you could try getting a gauge pod, the kind you tack onto the A-pillar.  With a little cutting it might fit into your console.    E-bay has lots of different ones:

http:///.com/ebaymotors/TRIPLE-GAUGE-POD-BLACK-52MM-DODGE-NEON-VIPER-CHEVY_W0QQitemZ150080484600QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33679QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Probably in the end you will have to fiberglass it in though, which I assumme you are trying to avoid?

shrug53 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
No, I am fullu prepared to fiberglass it. I think what I am going to have to do it cut an opening in the side of the console and then mount my rings. Then I should have enough of a lip to mount the gaues with the original brackets.
pyro94 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  
I have actually purchased a reliable set of gauges at a fairly inexpensive price.  These particular gauges were in the A pillar af an 89 camaro.  I drive a bagged 94 c1500 and am currently working on a console and am considering relocating my gauges to the console.  On my previous completion of the camaro I used the cardboard from a toilet paper roll.  Depending on your gauges this should work for you as well.  You can cut the cardboard into any angle or shape you desire.  Duct tape will hold it together.  I usually hit any project with at least two coats of resin first.  I personally do not see the need to spend the extra cash on an aftermarket pod when you have the matt, resin, and surely toilet paper.  I hope this can help.  If I can provide further details or pics of my current console just let me know.  Good luck.
vertically challenged car club
shrug53 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
I think I may not have phrased my question correctly. I can make the pods. The question is what keeps the gauges from falling out of them? Is it just a pressure fit? Some sort of set screw from the side? Or does it use the original brackets like it would in one of those cheap under-dash panels?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic