icon

02 Mercury Cougar PATS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ethies 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

I'm in the process of installing a Python 1400xpl into my '02 Mercury Cougar.  I've not yet connected the doors or hatch, just the parts for the remote start.  I have installed a 555F as well as an attempt to bypass the PATS.  Unfortunately, the car will not remote start.  It WILL start remotely if there is a key in the ignition.  I have followed all of the instructions included with the 555f and the tips I've read here on the2volt.  I still get the same result.  When I attempt to start the vehicle, I get three red blinks on the anti-theft indicator, clicks from the remote start unit, and nothing from the starter.  I've tried about 30 times to get the 555f programed correctly.  I have 2 keys, and I've been attempting to program it using both of them, as instructed.  My chief concern is that not only will it not remote start with the capsule next to the antenna ring, but even if I hold it right in front of the keyhole, it still won't start.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

I am NOT a DEI guy, but is this the one with the pellet? I have read on a few posts here that moving the pellet around to different spots may help.

If its NOT......sorry for the post!02 Mercury Cougar PATS -- posted image.

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
so what's your process for programming keys? when i program a 555f, i don't mount the pellet till after it's programmed. just hold on the ignition switch to learn it when the time comes. insert key 1, turn ignition on, once the security light goes out turn off ignition and repeat with key 2. once the security light turns off from key 2 and remote start holding the 555f pellet on the ignition (must do quickly as in within only a few seconds of each other).
works every time for me like this
ethies 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

Yes this is the one with the pellet.  I take the pellet and hold it parallel to the key with the wires facing the "tip of the key" side of the ignition, and the led looking side towards the keyhole side.  I make sure that the head of the pellet is all the way to the front of the key cylinder.  Then I insert one key and turn to run.  I wait till the security light goes out, then remove the key.  I immediately insert the other key (not on the same key ring) and do the same thing.  Then after removing the second key I position the pellet in front of the key hole and try the remote start.  I've also tried positioning it just about everywhere else.

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
I've has the same problem in the past with some cougars.  What I've had to do is use a 555P instead of the 555f.  The 555P works pretty much the same way as the 555F it just has a different chip in it.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
ethies 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

cntrylvr79, have you ever had the 555P not work on a cougar?  Do you know what the difference between the two modules is beyond a different chip?

Has anyone else had sucess with a 555P in the same/simliar application?

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
One or the other has always worked for me.  The different type chip is the only difference between the 2.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
ethies 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot!  I'm going to see if the local shop has one in tomorrow, and if not I'll get one ordered.  Hopefully that will do it!
dea,can 
Copper - Posts: 284
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
use a xk04 from bypasskits  it does pats 1-2-3 xk04 will work better when its gets colder .
dragon
ethies 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
dea,can is it really worth the large price difference between a 555P and a xk04?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic